walls move in and out on 4 piece shower/tub unit

Old 03-03-13, 02:13 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question walls move in and out on 4 piece shower/tub unit

Ok I've looked everywhere on this forum and can't seem to find my answer. I have a 4 piece (3 walls and the tub) shower/tub unit. The 3 walls have some "give" in them. If you push on the walls they move backwards almost like they're bowed. The guy who owned my house before me was a complete idiot and should never be allowed near a hammer or DIY project EVER again. I've removed the caulk TWICE and had the home improvement store employee show me which caulk would work and LAST... Well it lasted about 4 months. Now it's peeling/separating from the walls and tub causing leakage into my ceiling in my front living room. It's ruining the ceiling! Please tell me what I need to do to fix this- I thought about trying a caulk "strip" to see if that will stay but all the reviews I read were not good! I'm out of patience and ideas. :wall:

Old 03-03-13, 04:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! What sort of backing is there in this tub cubicle? Sheetrock, cbu, nothing but studs?? It may help us to help you if you could post a couple of pictures of your set up (not closeups). That would put us in your light.http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 03-04-13, 01:54 AM
M
Ok. I'm not sure what is behind the walls. When I took the caulk off the first time I tried to see if I could pull the walls down to see what kind of damage there was but they wouldn't budge and I was afraid of breaking them. I've uploaded pics. Please don't mind the dirty-grossness You can see the hack job the guy that owned the house before me did... I do have a somewhat large opening on the back side of the shower wall where the plumbing is. I can try to get into it later today. It's just a piece of plywood screwed on... I can take more pics of that once is open maybe it will show what's behind the walls. Thank you for any and all help!

Attached Images      
Old 03-04-13, 05:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
As a best case the surround has come unglued from the wall board. Worst case is that the wall board and possibly the wall itself has water damage. In either case the surround needs to be removed. Any damage repaired and the surround re-glued in place.

Since it sounds like the panels are loose the caulking you apply at the seams is failing. The caulk can seal the joint but it is not designed and is not in the right location to hold the panels in place and over time the movement breaks the caulking free. Also it is extremely difficult to properly clean and dry the area where the caulking is applied with the surround in place as water and soap scum gets between the pieces. Carefully cleaning & drying those areas when you have the surround out will help the caulking stick better in the future.

Old 03-04-13, 06:04 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
From my experience the amount of adhesive recommended in the instructions or included with them is not adequate to do a good job.

Old 03-04-13, 06:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
I forgot to mention that when you have the surround removed I like to use spray insulating foam that comes in a aerosol can and fill the voids from the back side where the shelves are located. The foam helps support the plastic to prevent breakage and gives the surround a more solid sound and feel.

Old 03-06-13, 02:12 AM
M
pics of under the tub/shower

Ok here are some pics that I just took. Don't mind the mess- Lived here for 2 years and this is the first time I've opened this panel! You'll notice a disgusting twin pack of what appears to be string cheese under the tub that has been there for I have NO clue how long! *seriously- the people who lived here before were complete hogs!* But I also found what looks like an OPEN ELECTRICAL OUTLET thing! WHAT-- is that even LEGAL?! I KNOW it's not safe!!!! But I altered the color on the one that shows what might be behind the wall... Do you know how these things are attached? I couldn't figure out how to get the walls to come off- seems like they're screwed into the wall or something... maybe I just need to hire someone to save me the headache. Let me know what you think-- is it a hack job installation??

Attached Images           
Old 03-06-13, 02:15 AM
M
Oh and I can't see behind the actual walls of the shower unit. View is blocked by the lip of the tub.

Old 03-06-13, 06:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Is that electrical box to back side of a box for something in the adjoining room?

If you think the surround panels are somehow screwed to the wall it is possible that they were installed before the walls were sheet rocked. Around the edge, mostly at the top there could be a nail or screw at each stud. The bottom and edges of the panels probably snap or hook together.

Old 03-08-13, 01:50 AM
M
As far as I can tell that electrical box does not open to the adjoining room. The ground wire is just kinda coiled up- not capped or anything. The other wires- one of them has a cap on it but the other doesn't. Is there something I should do with the electrical box so we don't get shocked!? I think you're right about the drywall. He must have put the unit in then made some really sloppy pieces for the top... I'll see what I have to do to get that drywall down- I think it's only screwed onto the wall anyways. Thank you for your help. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions! This is my first bath/shower unit project...

Old 03-08-13, 01:55 AM
M
I have this stuff that is a rapid expanding foam... would that work for the voids in the back of the shelves?

Old 03-10-13, 06:29 PM
P
Group Moderator
If you remove the panels from the wall most expanding foams will work. If doing it with the panels still on the wall I would use the low pressure type intended for sealing around windows & doors. The hazard comes if you try injecting foam when the panels are on the wall where the expansion of the foam can push the panel from the wall or bulge the surround panel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: