How to remove shower drain with no visible bolts?

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-13, 01:04 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to remove shower drain with no visible bolts?

I have stripped down my tile shower stall to the studs and sub-floor. I want to replace the drain, since the old one on there (built in early 1980's) doesn't appear to have weep holes or a visible way for me to take it apart in order to sandwich the new liner between the top and bottom flanges.

As you can see in the photos below, it appears to be stainless steel (I guess) and some other metal that's heavily rusted. Through the convenient hole I found already cut (and then patched) in the sub-floor next to the drain, I can see that the piping under the sub-floor is ABS, and the rusted metal seems to be somehow directly attached to the ABS below the sub-floor. It is a 2" drain.

Name:  draincloseup.jpg
Views: 4898
Size:  37.1 KBName:  drain&access.jpg
Views: 3975
Size:  32.4 KB

How do I remove this drain? What drain do I buy to replace it, and how do I attach it to the ABS? Will I need a coupling? I'm not doing a Kerdi system; going to build a traditional tile shower following instructions I've found elsewhere on this forum.

Some background: I live in a 2nd-floor condo, so the only access I have to the pipework is by removing the sub-floor. FWIW, I live in KY.

Old 03-12-13, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Unscrew that top piece and there should be 4 bolts under there. But you will still need to cut the pipe below the floor.

Old 03-13-13, 07:31 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
progress report

I managed to unscrew the top piece as shown in the attached photo, but there are still no visible bolts. Since it's hex-shaped, I tried to unscrew it, but it wouldn't budge. Any more ideas, or should I hire someone to go ahead and cut it off at this point (as it was mentioned would need to be done eventually, anyway)?

I suspect the sub-floor will have to be removed in order to cut off the drain, which I don't feel confident doing by myself and don't have the tools for.

Attached Images  
Old 03-13-13, 08:09 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
On the bright side, you found your weep holes.....

Get a mirror and a flashlight and dive into the hole and see if you can see anything from underneath. It may be solvent welded or other welded direct to the ABS.

Old 03-13-13, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
But you will still need to cut the pipe below the floor.
No way around it.... You need to cut it to replace.

Old 07-15-14, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
Old thread.... closed................

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: