Better way to secure toilet seat than plastic bolts and nuts?

Old 03-12-13, 07:38 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Better way to secure toilet seat than plastic bolts and nuts?

I have 2 Glacier Bay Home Depot dual flush toilets that have seats that are secured by plastic screws and bolts. Naturally, with weight and use, they become lose, and I have to tighten them every other 2 days.

Is there a better way to secure the seats? Metal screws and bolts perhaps? Washers?

Thanks

Old 03-12-13, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Possibly you are not tightening down them enough..... They hold pretty good usually.

What plastic bolts did you get?

Old 03-13-13, 10:00 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I had a similar problem, and had to re-tighten every few days. I found a product called "toilet seat tightening kit" at (not sure that I can say the name of the store-a big chain, starts with L??). The kit consisted of some plastic open topped dome /stepped(?) "washers" (as the package referred to them), and a plastic wrench. After 2 weeks, they seem to be working-or maybe I just got the tightness right!
Good luck, that's problem can be a real pain in the......

Old 03-14-13, 09:36 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i am using the plastic bolts that came with the toilet, and they are nothing special; they came without washers or anything.

Old 03-14-13, 09:58 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If you ever had to cut the old metal ones off with a Sawzall or clean off the gunk they created you would appreciate the nylon ones. Never tried it but I would suggest a few drops of white glue the tighten. Warning if that fix is too permanent you might have to cut the nuts off to replace the seat. Also most hardware stores sell nylon nuts and bolts so you might try different nuts and bolts. Maybe cut a washer out of rubber gasket material.

Old 03-14-13, 10:43 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Same problem and I have plenty of experience at tightening things. The seat just defied my efforts. In desperation, I cleaned the area and filled both holes with silicon caulking. Mashed it all together and tightened the nylon bolts. That was 3 years ago and still working fine.

In my case it seemed to be the slight back and forth movement due to the hole in the porcelain being larger than the bolt. The top and bottom washers were supposed to recess into this hole and eliminate the movement, but our butts seemed to provide more force then they planned on. I didn't explain it that way to my wife .

Bud

Old 03-14-13, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
The bolts are usually beveled to fit in the hole to prevent movement...

Now for all you campers/hunters out there....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: