Two toilet questions

Old 03-13-13, 03:26 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two toilet questions

I have two toilet questions about different toilets on opposite ends of the house.

1) I have a toilet that will not flush! The water goes round and round, but the flush never happens. Plunging does not help either. Note: I took a bucket of water and dumped it in the bowl and it flushed with no problems. Any ideas? Bad toilet?

2) The bathroom at the other end of the house won't flush either. however, one pump of a plunger when it is flushed and it flushes normally. Ideas?

No slow bathtub/shower drains. The toilet in the middle bathroom flushes right every time.

Thanks for the help!

Old 03-13-13, 04:36 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
Are these traditional gravity toilets (plain tank of water above the toilet) or vacuum or pressure assisted? I'll assume they are traditional for now.

Toilet #1:
Do you use toilet cleaners or deoderizers that hang in the toilet tank? If the toilet flushes by pouring a bucket of water in the bowl I suspect something above. In order for a toilet to flush the water must enter the bowl pretty quickly. If there is an obstruction the water may not enter fast enough to initiate the flush. Check to see that water flows from all the holes around the rim. Minerals, flapper valve parts can clog the passages around the rim of the bowl but one of the worst are toilet cleaners that hang in the tank. The solid ones sometimes crumble sending chunks into the rim and the monthly replacement sometimes leads to caps, clips and other bits being dropped in the tank.

Insure that the flapper valve in the tank is fully raised by the lever when flushing. You want that to open fully so water can gush below.

Some toilets have a jet in the neck of the bowl that helps break up solids and it's jet is aimed right at the toilet's drain & trap. A good flow from the jet helps initiate the flush so if it's obstructed you can have a weak flush.

Toilet #2:
I'd like to know more about how it flushes. Does it also flush well if you dump a bucket of water in the bowl?

Old 03-13-13, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
How old is toilet #1? Look in the tank or under lid for date. Probably cacium deposits. Use a coat hanger to ream the holes around the rim open. It usually helps.

#2 if it flushes with a bucket well same thing as above.... Check the date. Could be something in there too with this toilet. Try to auger it..... Auger is the best way to clear an obstruction. ( I pulled water bottles, baby rattles, small vases, hair brushes...etc out of toilets. )

Old 03-14-13, 08:37 PM
W
The one that doesn't flush at all has a date of 1979. The one that flushes with one plunge has a date of 1983. It also flushes fine with the bucket of water. It sounds like I may have to replace the one. Is there any way to repair the other one? Our water here is pretty hard.

Old 03-14-13, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator
The one that doesn't flush at all has a date of 1979. The one that flushes with one plunge has a date of 1983.
Oh geez man....replace them both asap.........And how old is the middle toilet? May want to replace that too.

Old 03-14-13, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator
American standard champion 4 IMO......l.

Old 03-15-13, 05:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
1979... Tell me it's not that olive green color.

Old 03-15-13, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
1979... Tell me it's not that olive green color.
I bet its saffron yellow....

Old 03-15-13, 08:51 PM
W
The 79 is kinda off white. The 83 is an ugly tan (It's in the Master. The only bathroom not remodeled yet). The middle one is in the 80's, but I cleaned it up pretty good when I gutted the front bathrooms last year because of a water leak. I just ran out of money for a toilet. By the way, about how much is that American Standard that you are talking about?

Yall know way too much, LOL!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: