Shower water sometimes hot, sometimes lukewarm...

Old 03-24-13, 10:55 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower water sometimes hot, sometimes lukewarm...

We have a Moen fixture in the shower. It's a single-handle lever that controls both hot and cold.

The problem is that sometimes when we use the shower, if we turn it as far as we can on the hot side ("max hot"), it can be so hot that we have to take it back a notch (not hot enough to scold, just uncomfortable). Other times, we can turn it to the "max hot" position and it's barely lukewarm. And we are running the shower long enough to where it should be hot. Even after showering sometimes, it's still only lukewarm.

This can happen on a cold day or a hot day. The temp outside doesn't matter. We've lived with this for some time, but I decided to work on it this weekend. I installed a new Moen cartridge yesterday, but the same problem exists. The odd thing is we can turn on water in the bathtub or sinks in that same bathroom and it's much hotter than the shower.

We're perplexed. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Andy

Old 03-24-13, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
Are you taking temp reading with a thermometer? If not its hard to get accurate by using you sense of touch.

I believe its the water heater. Example, first to shower in the morning in our home is able to take a shower with the moen shower on full hot. This is because the heater was just maintaining temp all night.

Now after that person gets out the heater has been firing to reheat the water used. The next shower is way hotter. Hot has to be turned down substantially to be comfortable.

Thats just how the heater works.

But what type of moen is it? Pull it to turn the water on, or rotate CCW?

Old 03-24-13, 11:26 AM
H
lawros,

Thanks for trying to resolve this problem. We're going by sense of touch, and we can both tell when it's providing hot water or when it's providing lukewarm. It's very noticeable just by sense of touch. No doubt about it.

The water heater is only two years old. Plus, we get hotter water out of the
sinks and tubs in that same room (again, it's noticeably hotter to the touch).

It's the type that you have to rotate (NOT pull).

It has me stumped. Any other ideas?

Old 03-24-13, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Its a posi temp. You change the cartridge right?

Did you set the scald protector behind the handle properly? To get max hot both plastic tabs should be at 12 o clock....

This one.

And this one. Although they show a little to the left they should be at 12 o clock. Moving more left will do nothing.

Also the new cart can be faulty out of the package.....

Old 03-24-13, 12:28 PM
H
Yep. I took pics as I went, and both were set at 12 o'clock to begin with (and are still set to 12 o'clock).

Is there anything else that might be going on? I know it's not unheard of for a new part to be defective.

Old 03-24-13, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
Nope, nothing I can think of. If you had a recirc line I would say that a check valve may be bad, but you would see it everywhere.

One bath house?

The cart is right side up correct? Meaning it starts cold then goes to hot? If the cart is installed backward it will start on hot then to cold....

Just a thought.

If none of the above I would replace the cart. Return that one for a refund.

Old 03-24-13, 02:18 PM
H
Glad you brought that question about a one-house bath. We have two showers downstairs, and one up. The other one downstairs doesn't have an issue with lukewarm water. In fact, it can get to a point where it's a bit uncomfortable (too hot) and has to be turned down a bit. It's maybe 10' max from the other shower.

The old cartridge had the symbols H C at the top, so I installed the new one the same way. If it were backwards, my wife would have let me known today lol

This is a stretch, but is there any way the shower head could have some effect on how much water is getting through? I know it's not supposed to, but it's about the only thing left (expect a defective new cartridge).

Andy

Last edited by hikerguy; 03-24-13 at 04:23 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: