Access space between floors.

Old 04-02-13, 05:37 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Access space between floors.

Does anyone know how to gain access into the area between the second story flooring and the first floor ceiling in a 2 story Pulte constructed home?

Old 04-02-13, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
Cut a hole in the ceiling.

Old 04-02-13, 05:49 PM
C
I am hoping to avoid the obvious solution. I am in hopes someone who has a 2 story Pulte home would know if there is a hidden access panel perhaps in the floor of one of the closets. Older homes have access panels in the closets to access the plumbing and duct work between the floors.

Old 04-03-13, 03:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I don't know that I've ever seen an access panel in the floor or ceiling that was original to the house. I suspect the access panels you've seen in older homes were put there after the fact - in conjunction with a repair. Why are you needing access between the floors?

Old 04-03-13, 06:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 751 Votes on 690 Posts
Generally access panels if they do exist are directly under plumbing that may need to be serviced, like underneath a bathtub or shower. But, that is extremely rare. Since your's was built by a large home construction company I seriously doubt anything was done unless it somehow made building the house less expensive.

Generally when access is needed you cut a hole in the floor or ceiling and repair it when done. Just having an access hole in one location is almost useless since there is not enough room to enter the space and do anything. Also the floor of the area is the ceiling of the first floor and the sheetrock cannot support the weight of a person. You'd fall through. Then add in the wiring, ducting and plumbing and any path through the space would likely be blocked.

---
It is possible though to have access to the area between floors. My house has tall scissor trusses separating the floors. This does allow a workable space between floors and the open trusses allow you to crawl/wiggle through the joists (actually trusses). During construction I built access points in several locations and they have come in handy for pulling new data & communication wires as technology has improved. But, since those access hatches cost time & money to build and do nothing to make constructing the house cheaper I doubt/guarantee Pulte did not do it when constructing your home.

Old 04-04-13, 02:14 AM
C
Thanks for the knowledgeable post. I had contemplated running cables in this area but seems like too much trouble now.

Old 04-04-13, 06:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 751 Votes on 690 Posts
Chances are your floors have solid joists which means you could only run cables the length of one joist bay if you are lucky. In my case the open scissor trusses allow a lot more opportunity to pull cables. And, surprisingly an RC toy truck is great for driving through the space pulling a light cord which you can then use to pull a wire.

Old 04-04-13, 06:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
RC toy truck is great for driving through the space pulling a light cord
What will we think of next?
With my luck the RC car would either get stuck or the battery would disconnect

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: