Can I install a toilet with a 3" output onto a flange that has a hole of 2 3/8"?

Old 04-21-13, 09:33 AM
Can I install a toilet with a 3" output onto a flange that has a hole of 2 1/2"?

I am replacing a toilet. I was told at the store that it didn't matter what the output size of the toilet and the flange size were. I am concerned because there are signs that there was some leakage under the floor. I do not know if it's because the flange covers a 3" pipe but rests on the inside of it making the hole only 2 1/2". Should I only buy the 2 3/8" output toilet models then?

I wouldn't hesitate to do so but the dual flush toilet that I want to get only comes with a 3" output. That's the toilet I prefer, but I won't get it if it's going to cause leaks because the flange hole is smaller.

The downstairs bathroom had a 3" hole. I don't understand why they made the upstairs bathroom a different hole size. ugh...

Last edited by foolios; 04-21-13 at 10:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-13, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
Toilets often leak where they meet the flange in the floor. It's a weak point of the design. The most likely cause of your leakage was from the wax seal of your existing/old toilet. It's possible that you have a broken toilet flange or a leaking pipe but it's most likely that it's a simple leaking wax ring. It's not so much a problem with the exact size of the pipe and output of the toilet. A wax ring, if installed properly can work well for almost ever if the piping and your floor are solid. If the drain pipe is loose or if your floor is somewhat soft and flexes every time you sit on the toilet then the movement eventually causes the seal to fail.

Old 04-21-13, 05:46 PM
Thank you for your time in replying. I appreciate the help. I am off to get what I want. Thanks!

Old 01-10-14, 06:52 PM
I have the same problem - I installed a flange that is male at the floor-side i.e. goes inside the pipe. The end result is a 2-1/2" opening. The wax ring I bought has a plastic insert that is slightly bigger than the 2-1/2" and won't fit inside. I tried to install the toilet, but it was just hanging too high. Are there special rings for this situation or do I remove the plastic part, or what do I do? Thanks.

Old 01-11-14, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
There are many different types of wax rings. Whenever possible I prefer to use the ones with the plastic insert and have never run into a situation where the male funnel portion is too big to fit into the toilet flange or drain. You may just need to get a plain wax ring. They come in different thcknesses so when you install the toilet make sure you feel the ring being squished in place. If you don't feel the squish you need a taller (jumbo) ring.