Water coming out of the top of the bathroom sink

Old 04-28-13, 08:53 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water coming out of the top of the bathroom sink

About 4 weeks ago my bathroom sink was clogged. I used Draino and the drain unclogged. Now I have observed when I turn on the faucet, water is coming out of the little hole at the top of the sink ( I believe this may be called the overflow hole). Why is this doing it and what can I do to fix the problem. The faucet works perfect and the water drains down the sink. Whats up with this?

Old 04-28-13, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm a little lost. You state that water is coming out of the overflow hole AND is also draining down the drain at the same time ?

Old 04-29-13, 08:26 PM
F
Yes that is correct. When I turn the faucet on with the water coming out fast, water runs down the drain but also spills out of the overflow hole. This only happens when I turn the faucet on hard i.e water comes out fast. This is the strangest thing I have ever seen and have no idea what to do.

Old 04-30-13, 01:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that your drain is still partially plugged. Have you tried filling sink up with water and then letting it out. It may drain fairly slow.

Old 04-30-13, 07:10 AM
O
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The other thing to try it to run some very hot water. Now plug the drain and fill the sink with very hot water. Pull the plug and use a plunger on it to try to force the partial clog along.

Old 04-30-13, 07:16 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
#1 Never use a drain cleaner.
You now have a toxic acid you have to deal with to try and fix the real problum.
When a sink plugs up the first thing to do it get a small bucket, place it under the trap under the sink and remove the trap and clean it out.
Nothing in it then remove the extention pipe where it goes into the wall and used a drain snake to clean it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: