New faucet and drain installation

Old 04-30-13, 12:02 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New faucet and drain installation

I installed a new faucet in a bathroom a year ago and everything works fine with no leaks. Where the drain meets the sink I did not use silicone or plumber's putty and have had no issues.

I am now just finishing up remolding my other bathroom and the faucet instructions say to apply silicone to the drain before it is put in.

Is this necessary to use anything where the drain meets the sink or will the gasket under the sink, when properly tightened, seal the water from leaking on the outside of the drain and subsequently under the sink.

I have also seen various thoughts on what to use on threaded PVC fittings. Tape vs Paste vs. something else. I have a miniscule leak on 1 1/2" fitting on this same drain that I hand tightened. Any thoughts?

If it matters the vanity top is quartz with the bowl mounted below the vanity top.

Thanks

Old 04-30-13, 02:07 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Should have been plumbers putty under the flange inside the sink, a few wraps of teflon tape around the threaded part just under where it comes through the bottom of the sink.
No other sealers are used anywhere else.

Old 05-03-13, 04:09 AM
A
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you dn't want to use plumber putty or teflon tapes for sensor faucets than better tell to your plumber give some alternate he will give you otherwise better change your Sensor Faucets it is better solution.

Old 05-03-13, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I did not use silicone or plumber's putty and have had no issues.
I bet that sink came with a rubber gasket. You would have a leak if you used nothing.

faucet instructions say to apply silicone to the drain before it is put in.
Thats because they want silicone instead of plumbers putty. Plumbers putty on that material sink will cause hair line cracks around the drain area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: