Toilet hardware: VERY STRANGE flush mechanism

Old 05-18-13, 10:57 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet hardware: VERY STRANGE flush mechanism

Help! I've replaced the fill/flush hardware in a lot of toilets. We have a toilet that has a flush system like I've never seen. Where the flapper would be is a large tube/cylinder that stands straight up.. 4-5 inches in diameter. This large tube has a big gasket on the bottom that seals the hole (well, doesn't seal very well anymore). I can raise it up and underneath is a hole that is larger than normal, and down the hole I can see something that looks like a three-bladed fan/propeller. When you flush, the handle raises a float-looking thing out of the middle of the top of the large tube. There is a straight plastic "pole" piece underneath than runs down the middle of the length of that tube. When you press the flush handle, it lifts this float-looking thing, but when it drops back down it gets stuck at the top (which I think is the malfunctioning part). There is a traditional universal float/fill in the corner of the tank and the water tube rests at the top of the large cylinder.

I'm not even sure how to get the "flapper" tube out, let alone replace it. No way the regular universal flapper will fit, the entire thing would just about fall down the hole in the bottom of the toilet.

I've searched online and can't find anything that looks anything like this.

The bottom of the tank itself doesn't even look "normal".

I have no idea how to approach this. I'm sure I could get everything taken out - one way or another. But I can't replace the mechanism.

Help.

Old 05-18-13, 11:22 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Sounds like and American Standard Champion 4 or 5 toilet - Replacement Parts are available as well as ytube demos.

American Standard Champion 4 Flush Valve Assembly-3174.002-0070A at The Home Depot

Old 05-18-13, 01:06 PM
K
Thanks for the reply. That one you link to is different. It has a flapper on top. With the one I have, the entire tube lifts up.

But let's say it would work. It looks like the entire tank has to come off to remove the one I have. It is in the middle of the tank, and seems to be attached way down inside the hole. How do I get that large valve mechanism out? The new one has the very large nut on the bottom. I can't see on our toilet how I would get that one on, or remove the one that is on there. The tank has to come off?

Old 05-18-13, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Yes, replacing any flush valve requires the tank to be removed.

No markings on the toilet anywhere? Any idea of the age?

Pics always help...http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 05-18-13, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Is is an old Mansfield toilet...

Flapper like this?

Or I would say after reading your post again its a kohler tower.

Let us know and we can guide you further....

Old 10-02-13, 04:00 PM
M

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: