Shower Hot Water Will Not Turn Off

Old 05-21-13, 09:13 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Shower Hot Water Will Not Turn Off

Hi,

I've got an issue with the hot water in my shower. The shower faucet has 3 handles, one for hot water, one for cold, and one to divert between the spout and showerhead. It looks similar to this one, though I do not see a brand labelled anywhere on it: Pfister 01 Series 3-Handle Tub/Shower Trim in Polished Chrome with Metal Verve Handles-01-911 at The Home Depot

I just moved into this place a couple days ago. When I went to take a shower for the first time, the hot water handle just spun around freely. It clearly had no grip on the stem (or whatever the part is called) that is inside the handle. In an effort to get a warm shower, I took the index cap off of the handle to reveal the screw that holds the handle on. I turned this screw and hot water came out! Unfortunately, after my shower, I could not get the screw tightened back all the way (it is beginning to get stripped) and so water continued to pour out the spout.

I found a shut-off valve next to the water heater and turned it all the way, which reduced the flow of water in the shower, but there is still a constant, small stream coming out. The first thing I need to know is whether this is just the water that was left in the water heater draining out, or will it continue to flow out? I am at work now, and am worried about the water flowing all day long...

Obviously, I need to replace some parts on the hot water side of the faucet. From the details above, what parts does it sound like need replacing? Stem, Handle, Washer, all of the above? In addition, will I be able to replace these parts if I can not get the water to shut off 100% (just a small stream coming out)?

My landlord is supposed to come take a look today, but I want to get any advice I can beforehand, as he may or may not know any more about it than I do.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Old 05-21-13, 04:21 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have old style globe or gate valves it's very common for them to fail and not shut off. It should be replaced with a ball valve.
Onc the water off it'simple enough to remove the whole stem and go to a plumbing supply or a box store and just replace the whole thing. Going to have to have it in hand because there's dozens of differant styles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: