Strange problems...can anyone give advice?

Old 06-06-13, 07:35 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Strange problems...can anyone give advice?

Okay as title says, this is very strange. Hopefully someone has an answer. First of all, our toilet kept backing up, dishwasher not draining etc. Our septic had not been emptied since we moved here and figured it was time. So we had that done and at first the toilet flushed awesome. Then started backing up and overflowing again within a couple weeks. But problem goes beyond that. We are in a double wide, if that helps at all. We started noticing "cracks" in the kitchen tile a while back. I thought someone dropped something or whatever and cracked a tile. Then they seemed to start cracking across the floor in the kitchen. I commented how it looked like the floor was splitting from underneath. Several tiles by the refrigerator literally got tons of cracks in them, and the floor kept being wet in that spot. With a bunch of kids, we just thought they were spilling things, etc. But now it seems the water is coming from UNDERNEATH the tile cracks. We put a towel down and it is soaked through. Is our house falling apart from underneath? It is not an easy place to get to to look from the bottom, but what could this possibly be? ANd does it have anything to do with water lines backing up and clogging? If anyone has any clue what this could be, please advise. Thank you

Old 06-06-13, 11:08 AM
Z
Received 35 Votes on 34 Posts
hi notamechanic Ė

Iím just a newbie but I wonder if you would be better off posting this under "Wells, Sump Pumps, and Septic Sewage Systems".

Maybe you could post it here and there, if thatís allowed, or maybe the moderator will move it there if appropriate.

...Our septic had not been emptied since we moved here and figured it was time. So we had that done and at first the toilet flushed awesome. Then started backing up and overflowing again within a couple weeks. ...
It really sounds like your septic tank(s) isnít draining properly out to the field or whatever it drains into. So when you pumped out the tank (s) you will in fact have good flow in the house for a while, until the tank(s) fill again. Yet if itís sewage, with the water coming up from under the house, you would think it would smell? But Iím a newbie.

Hope the pros jump in here, and itís something not too bad.

Good luck!

Old 06-06-13, 11:20 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You need to cut away the covering underneath and take a look. I'd bet it is a leak and the insulation is saturated. That is a helath hazard and the insulation needs to be removed so the "paper" underneath your mobile home definitly needs to be cut away or did you mean something else by:
It is not an easy place to get to to look from the bottom
Edit: Older MHs had particleboard flooring. I can't imagine any one being stupid enough to put ceramic tile on particle board but if that is what they did the particleboard has expanded like a desiccated sponge thrown in the ocean and that is what is cracking the tile.

Old 06-08-13, 06:06 PM
N
Thanks for the answers. Just to clarify, it's not actually ceramic tile, more of a stone type tile. (you can tell I really don't know this stuff...) The leaking part inside is in front and next to the fridge, so we thought maybe something with the fridge is leaking in the back. Haven't had a chance to pull the fridge out and look yet. (I recently broke my leg, so I am not doing much myself) And the "not an easy place to get to" is under the house. It's hard to get around under there to go too far, as to where this problem inside is occurring. Lots of ducts etc. in the way. This place was not apparently constructed well to begin with. And yes, the septic outside did smell when it rained hard etc, and the guy said it was full and emptied it. With the recent rains we had it has started to smell again so we don't know if it's just an overfill of rain or something backed up. We were told it costs thousands to have the "field" part of it dug up and checked, which we do not have.

Old 06-08-13, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
Sounds like the field is shot. When the tank was pumped did water come back in the tank from the field?

You line is probably full and water is seeping from the toilet wax ring, but weeping under the tile. Then it will go to a low spot and pool up.

You need to check the d box. Possibly there is a clog out there prevent the septic water from hitting all the lateral. May be running and one lateral only...

Old 06-09-13, 06:05 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, If you don't have water problems any other place. check the refridgator. Does it have an icemaker? Maybe the pan that collects water from the defrost cycle is full or has a hole it it. The hose from the freezer located on the back mat not go into the pan. Maybe the drain inside the refridge is plugged and water is draining inside the refridge and out the door. Pull the bottom drawer and look for water.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 07-03-13, 04:02 PM
N
We have had constant rain for so long that it always seems to be full around that spot. I don't know what a d box is...or what the lateral is...

Old 07-03-13, 04:06 PM
N
woodbutcher..we did pull fridge out, and didn't see any water leaking at all. But when he put it back in, he taped up one piece of water tubing that he thought may have been somehow leaking. The floor remained dry, but the water would no longer come out of the fridge dispenser. So he untaped it, and so far so good. Now we just need to get money to pull up the floor and re-do it.... Thank you all for the help.

Old 07-04-13, 05:13 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You aren't using Charmin toilet paper, are you?

Old 07-04-13, 05:36 PM
N
no not Charmin. Sometimes cottonelle, but usually Northern

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: