1950s bathroom plumbing - replacing sink

Old 06-10-13, 11:24 AM
1950s bathroom plumbing - replacing sink

Hi,

First, thanks in advance for the help. I am trying to update my 1950's bathroom with a new vanity top and sink. Mostly wondering if I can tackle this myself, or should I hire a pro?

The new sink is a vessel, and the drain will be approximately 6 inches forward from this one, but on the same R/L plane. The new faucet has flexible tubing. I need to remove the old stuff before the installer comes with the new top.

Name:  bathroom (480x640).jpg
Views: 4584
Size:  27.4 KB

Name:  bathroom (1) (480x640).jpg
Views: 3769
Size:  27.7 KB

This is the plumbing inside the vanity. I can't get the valves to turn on the incoming water to the faucet. There is no trap or J bend up here.

This is the plumbing as it enters the basement

Name:  bathroom (2) (640x480).jpg
Views: 2712
Size:  31.3 KB

Name:  bathroom (3) (640x480).jpg
Views: 1971
Size:  33.1 KB

And this is the next shut-off valve I can find down the line

Name:  bathroom (4) (640x480).jpg
Views: 2312
Size:  30.8 KB

Questions:
1) Can I turn the water off at the yellow valve and not mess with the knobs under the sink?
2) Can the new sink actually connect to the current drain? If so, is it just a matter of finding the pieces to make it fit? (I don't think it's up to current code, but it does work with the trap in the basement) Or is there a way to bring it up to code myself? Or should I hire someone because this is a very big job to retrofit?

Thanks again
Kris

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-13, 06:53 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It's a little tricky but you can probably do it. I have had to change the drain to move it more forward. Just get the right parts. You can shut the valve in the cellar but that may shut more than one bathroom, depending on the house. The valves under the sink are sufficient as long as they hold. Always test the water before you disconnect any pipes.

Old 06-12-13, 04:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd replace those stops under the sink since the water will be off any way with some new 1/4 turn valves.