One knob shower control no hot water

Old 06-12-13, 10:51 AM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One knob shower control no hot water

Hello,
We removed our shower knob with push/pull diverter, and it has gone missing. First question can anyone identify if this is moen or something else. So that we might replace it? It had a round plastic knob and push/pull to switch between shower and tub in the faceplate. The knob pulled out and turned left/right. I am unsure if we can replace the trim without having to replace the valve but would be thrilled if we could. Though the unit is at least 20 years old.

I can't get the pic to post regularly, it appears sideways. Sorry about that.

Next question now the hot water does not work when we pull the water control out and to the left. Cold does work.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images  
Old 06-12-13, 11:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Personally I'd say save yourself the trouble and install a new faucet. Repairing a 20 year old faucet is one thing but trying to find the correct replacement parts when you don't know what you've got is just asking for trouble. You might get lucky but I can imagine spending $$ for a part only to find that it looks similar but does not fit or work properly when $100-$150 can get you a new one.

Old 06-12-13, 12:31 PM
Y
Thank you Dane. I appreciate your advice.

Old 06-12-13, 01:44 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
It is a Moen, and I'm not 100% sure, but am thinking that my local Ace Hardware has knobs and achoo's (never could spell or pronounce the plate correctly), whether OEM or generic, so might be worth checking there or one of the big box stores. As for the diverter, I am drawing a complete blank, but am thinking that they're probably available are; you'll just have to read the package or tell them it's an older Moen. I'm not too far off total agreement with Pilot Dane though, in that if I didn't find everything within the first 10 minutes or so I would probably buy a new valve and be done with it. Some valves are not worth even that much effort, but I know that you can still get cartridges for them, so, again, might be worth a few minutes to see what is readily available.

Old 06-12-13, 02:01 PM
Y
I found the missing knob and faceplate in the trash! It is a moentrol. But... Still no hot water. When we turn the knob left it turns off. Cold works. I am sure the hot water source isn't off. Unless it got jammed up before we turned it back on. I am off to research if there is a safety that lets you adjust the faucets hot water that we may have turned or something. Boyfriend isnt a plumber so i was trying to avoid something very involved like replacing the faucet. but we will do what we have to. thanks again, appreciate the feedback.

Old 06-12-13, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Need to clean the balance spool. Thats the big brass screw plate just above the handle.

The one that takes the big flat blade screwdriver.

If cleaning does not work then a new spool would be needed.

Yes IMO just put a moen posi temp in and be done with it.

MOEN Adler Single-Handle Tub and Shower faucet in Chrome-L82694 at The Home Depot

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: