Leaking dishwasher

Old 06-16-13, 09:48 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking dishwasher

My wife was using our portable Whirlpool dishwasher yesterday and she noticed a pool of water in front of it. When the wash cycle went on, it sprayed water under the door. I checked it out and took off the panel on the bottom, but nothing looks amiss. We're using the same soap and nothing else has changed, though she said she cleaned it recently.

Old 06-16-13, 10:01 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
See if the seal that goes around the tub is starting to deteriorate. It is what seals against the door that keeps water from getting out. It should have some give to it. You also might have gotten something stuck in the seal when closing the door like a piece of food or silverware.

Old 06-16-13, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Most dishwashers use a removable gasket that can be cleaned. In some instances the gasket can be turned around exposing a new flat surface for sealing.

The gasket may also just be flattened out and needs to be replaced. If you leave your make and model I could research the parts you need.

Old 06-17-13, 03:16 AM
D
Hi,
I have an older dishwasher that did the same thing. Leaking out the front bottom of the door. I took the door apart from the inner door and then took out the vent screen and it was a mess. I don't think it was ever cleaned before. I scrubbed all the dried gook off put it back together and started up the machine and no leak. So sometimes it is not the door gasket.
You could probably find pictures of your model dishwasher at partadvantage.com Look for the air vent and take it out and clean it. It's worth a try. Be careful it's probably plastic so be gentle.

I think I learned that trick on this forum.

Good Luck. Glenda

Old 06-18-13, 08:28 PM
G
The gasket on the door only extends on the sides and top, not at the bottom where the leak is. I found the float to have a lot of crud built up underneath and thought maybe that was it, but it still squirts out the bottom. I'm going to try taking apart the door next. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 06-20-13, 06:16 AM
G
OK, tried taking the door apart and cleaning it up, it was pretty bad but nothing that should be causing a leak. Sure enough, still leaking. The gasket was dirty with caked on junk, but still pliable. Cleaning it didn't help.

Any other suggestions?

Old 06-21-13, 02:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Possibly the unit is overfilling. Set the unit to wash cycle. As soon as it stops filling and goes to wash.....shut it off and open the door. The water should not be above the float.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: