Dripping new sink drain

Old 06-25-13, 05:58 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dripping new sink drain

I need help. I installed a brand new sink on a vanity with a new faucet fixture and all new drain pipes. After assembling and checking it I see there is a very tiny leak coming from the sink drain flange somewhere. I used regular plumbers putty on the flange of the drain,, should that have been something else? I tightened the big lock nut under the rubber washer about as much as I think is wise but it still seams to seep. Should I have gooped the threads between the flange and drain tube? (I didn't) Any ideas? Like I said, everything is new,, no old parts. Thanks.

Old 06-25-13, 06:12 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
Depending on the design of the sink and drain you are using it may seal on the bottom side of the sink where the rubber washer and nut are located, unlike a kitchen sink where the plumbers putty is applied under the flange of the upper drain piece. I have seen many sinks with rough or sharp edges or a blob of resin on the bottom side where the rubber washer needs to seal. Sometimes cleaning that area where the washer meets will allow it to seal and sometimes I cheat and use a little plumbers putty on the bottom side with the the rubber washer.

Old 06-25-13, 06:18 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Loosen the whole drain assembly and try it again. Sometimes, they just don't seat at 90 deg. to the drain hole. Try it again to make sure that is where the leak is. I still use Plumbers Putty under the drain lip on the top side, maybe more out of habit than anything else if they seal underneath.

Old 06-25-13, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
And sometimes...you need to fill the sink with hot water...let it sit for a while and slightly re-tighten. I've done that more than once when using putty.

Old 06-25-13, 07:00 PM
P
Pilot Dane,,,,, tomorrow when I pull it all apart I shall give VERY close attention to the underside of the flange. I appreciate your help.

Old 06-25-13, 07:05 PM
P
Good. At least this problem sounds like it is not all that uncommon. I will remove and try it again. Thanks....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: