Sink Inlet Lines Corrosion/Discoloration - A Concern?

Old 07-03-13, 10:29 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Sink Inlet Lines Corrosion/Discoloration - A Concern?

Our home is about 13 years old, with 3 bathroom sinks. The plumbing on two of the sinks look almost brand new. On the third sink, both the hot and cold water inlet lines show some discoloration/corrosion on the copper lines extending down from the fixture, as well as on the nuts at both junctions of where the flexible lines join the fixture's copper lines and where they join the cut-off valves.

There is no active water leakage, although I assume there must have been some in the past, but we have a powdery residue that occasionally falls onto the floor of the cabinet.

How concerned should I be? Is this a disaster waiting to happen, or is it safe to ease into it? Unfortunately, this sink is one of two matching sinks in this bathroom, so if/when I have to replace one, it will require two replacements. There's no way my LW will live with mis-matched fixtures, and the current model is no longer available. Given that the compression nuts on the cut-off valves also have the discoloration/ corrosion, do you think replacing the cut-off valves is also required? Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Old 07-03-13, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I would just clean up the corrosion and give the nuts a little snug. The corrosion is most likely from moisture... A leak but not a leak if you know what I mean...

Is it green/blue?

Old 07-03-13, 11:03 AM
W
Thanks for the quick feedback! Yep, it's the blue/green stuff that shows up around leaks. On the copper end, it's primarily just discoloration. On the cut-off end, it's a little "fuzzy" on the compression fitting and on the valve itself.

Old 07-03-13, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
Take a pic... But I would just clean and snug....small wire brush and some rubbing alcohol on a rag...

Old 07-03-13, 12:06 PM
W
Sorry, should have thought to include a pic from the start. Duh....

Flash reflections made it tough to get a good shot, but here's probably the worst place:

Old 07-03-13, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
Oh my!!!! I must have mis read your post... Are those plastic supply's????

If so please change them asap. Go to the home store and get all new braided type....

BrassCraft 3/8 in. Compression x 1/2 in. FIP x 20 in. Polymer Coated Speedi Plumb PLUS Faucet Connector-B1-20A F at The Home Depot

Old 07-03-13, 12:34 PM
W
Oops, I gather that's a problem? I've got the same type of flex lines running to 3 sinks and 2 toilets. I definitely appreciate the alert. I was not aware of an issue.

While I've got you captured, any thoughts on the condition of the cut-off?

Thanks very much

Old 07-03-13, 12:45 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Those plastic tubes look like polybutylene and are/were linked to spontaneous breakage and flooding. There was a class action lawsuit (long closed) concerning this piping. Mike is correct that you should change them out for the stainless steel braided flexible tubes.

Here is some more info. Polybutylene Plumbing - What is Polybutylene?

The "stop valve" corrosion is mostly cosmetic but depending on the manner to which they are connected to the house plumbing they may be fairly easy to replace with new 1/4 turn stop valves. The 1/4 turn valves are far superior to what you have now.

Old 07-03-13, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Since the house is only 13 yrs old...I doubt it's PB. I'd still change the lines and valves (if not too difficult...lines easy...valves maybe not).

Old 07-03-13, 01:26 PM
W
OK, now I worried... Not sure how to know. I've got the same type of lines running to all bathroom sinks and both toilets. The gray line carries a '99 date, with the following markings: "NSF-PW SE ASTM F876/F877 100psi 180F SDR9". The kitchen was remodeled professionally several years ago, and after reading this, I realized they used a steel braided flexible line, similar to what's on my washing machine. I was aware of it, just never struck me I might need to do the same thing in bathrooms. Any thoughts? Thanks much.

Old 07-03-13, 01:46 PM
F
Doing a Google search with that number gives numerous hits that have the term PEX in the summation. That would lead me to believe that the lines are PEX plastic and are not in any immediate danger of bursting.

Still, depending on how the fitting is made up at the stop valve (it may be a standard brass ferrule) I would want to replace them with the SS braided lines eventually, say, one sink a week or month as your budget allows.

Old 07-03-13, 02:32 PM
W
Thanks, I'm learning some good stuff. Found out what PEX was, and noticed that Lowes and HD still sell it for supply line. Regardless, no arguments that the SS braid is a better way to go. Did that on washer a long time ago, and it makes sense to do it in other places, so I need to get started. Still not sure what to do about the stop valves. Not sure I want to tackle that myself, not knowing how they were install to pipes. Thanks very much for everyone's help and feedback!

Old 07-03-13, 02:36 PM
F
Take a picture from the side of the valve and we can tell how it was installed. I'm pretty sure they are either soldered or else screwed rather than compression nut. If they are screwed it should be fairly easy to replace them.

Old 07-03-13, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Whitpet....just to be clear...PEX (as opposed to PB) is pretty much the plumbing of choice for almost every Pro. It has none of the issues of PB and has been tested quite extensively.

I say this because of your statement...
noticed that Lowes and HD still sell it

Didn't want you to be confused and thinking PEX was a problem product.

Old 07-06-13, 12:39 PM
W
...PEX (as opposed to PB) is pretty much the plumbing of choice for almost every Pro.
Thanks, Gunguy, your input is very helpful, and I can tend to get confused and excited pretty quickly when I don't know what I'm doing.

It sounds like the braided lines are the way to go when replacement time rolls around, but I've backed off from starting a project on either the corrosion issue or the existing lines. These forums are exceptional resources. There's not much worthwhile left on the Internet any more, but y'all are definitely at the top of the list. Thanks again for everybody's help and feedback.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: