Bathroom sink to portable washing machine adapter

Old 07-06-13, 03:58 PM
Bathroom sink to portable washing machine adapter

Hello,

I've been trying to find an adapter to let me attach the hose to a portable washing machine to my bathroom sink. I've visited three hardware stores, even once with the aerator and I still cannot screw any of them in...I'm pretty sure I need a female adapter but that's about all I know.

The first time I was sold a 2/9 15/16" x 3/4" Male Hose THD. This did not work because of the thread on the outside.

The next time the salesperson matched the diameter of my aerator that I brought to the piece he sold me, which was 13/16"-24 x 55/64"-27. I think the inner diameter was ok but the outside wall part of this particular adapter was too thick to screw in.

The next time a different salesperson sold me a M24x1 + M22x1 + 55/64"-27. This definitely did not work.

I guess I have a 13/16" female that I need to adapt? Also, what do the numbers after the dash (ie 24, 27) mean?

Not sure what the ANSI A112.18.1 specification on the outside of the original aerator means either? Will I be able to find an adapter that works? Thank you for any suggestions!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-13, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
I wouldn't even try. I'd add a valve with a quick connect under the sink to the cold water supply. (You don't really need hot for washing.)

Old 07-06-13, 04:32 PM
Oh, how would I do that?? I do not know very much about plumbing (clearly) so that seems much more difficult and potentially disastrous (also didn't mention that the first two adapter installation tries resulted in leaking below my sink which was solved by tightening gaskets on the faucet connectors but when I first noticed the water I temporarily panicked)...

Old 07-06-13, 06:00 PM
Group Moderator
Oh, how would I do that?? I do not know very much about plumbing
Remove the supply valve and install a tee. Then reinstall the supply valve and a valve for the washer. How difficult depends on the type of plumbing you have. Can you post pictures of the valve both head on and sideways so we can get a better idea of what you have.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

With luck though Mike will be along with a better solution.

Old 07-07-13, 04:48 AM
So would I run the risk of flooding my entire bathroom while doing this...?
Name:  20130706_210444_resized.jpg
Views: 16505
Size:  17.5 KBName:  20130706_210523_resized.jpg
Views: 16783
Size:  22.9 KBName:  20130706_210540_resized.jpg
Views: 14738
Size:  25.0 KB

Attached Images  
Old 07-07-13, 05:55 AM
Group Moderator
Soldered on valves make it more difficult and because of your reluctance to work with plumbing beyond what you are probably comfortable doing.

Old 07-07-13, 09:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Show us a picture of, or give us a model number of the portable washer. I just googled one from a large retailer and that unit comes with a universal quick connect that works with "any faucet" (as it states). You may be able to order one as a replacement part that will work with your unit. Otherwise, we will have to get fancy under the sink.

Old 07-07-13, 11:53 AM
You need to get a fairly rare special tee fitting that has female compression seat on one end with either a pipe thread or male compression on the other and a pipe thread branch. Some old-time REAL hardware stores might have this tee but it is doubtful (not impossible) that a big box mega-mart homecenter will carry it. You might have to go to a plumbing supply house to find it.

You would then disconnect the flexible hose from the valve (close the valve first, of course) install the tee, connect the hose and install a quick-connect, self-sealing coupler to the branch of the tee. Connect the mating plug of the quick-connect to the washer hose and you are set.

Old 07-07-13, 12:15 PM
Group Moderator
If you can't finf the fitting Furd suggested you would use a Skarkbite adaptor copper to male thread. On the male thread you would put a threaded brass tee. Leg up and cross horizontal. A straight supply valve in the leg and the quick connect in the cross or a valve then the quick connect. The existing valve would be cut off as close to the valve as possible. We can walk you through it if that is the route you end up going.

Old 07-07-13, 05:13 PM
Wow, thanks, that all sounds really complicated (and a little frightening). I'll cross my fingers for Home Depot and then go in search of a plumbing supply house if necessary...this might take a little time...

To answer czizzi, the washer I got is a Haier HLP23E, which seemed like it would be very easy to use according to every review I read...and it does provide a sink quick connect with "universal" washers, but neither of those fit (and didn't fit my kitchen sink either)...

Old 07-07-13, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
all sounds really complicated (and a little frightening).
Not really. As I said we can walk you through it and even give you pictures.

Another way is to find a faucet to fit the quick connect and change out the faucet.

Old 07-07-13, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator
Note he needs the adapter for the sink because he needs to drain the washer too....... Hooking up from below will be a moot point IMO. All these washers often have combination hoses... Cant really separate.....

I will dig deeper if needed...

Old 07-07-13, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
All these washers often have combination hoses... Cant really separate.....
Do you mean the drain is integrated with the water hose. Geeze, that is so stupid it never occurred to me. I retract my suggestion of under the sink.

Old 07-07-13, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator
Yes. The end that attaches to the sink is really not separable...

See pic here... Make sense??? One is a water feed and one is a drain...

He needs the proper adapter...

I have a link just cant find it as of yet.... ( For universal)

OP can you post the make of your faucet? Bath and/or kitchen????

Old 07-10-13, 01:50 PM
I think I have a not-as-advanced washer...I've attached photos of my sink (I have no idea what brand it is), the inlet hose supplied with the washer (the black thing, white end goes toward washer and grey end attaches to the supplied quick connect), and the drain hose that attaches to a hole at the bottom of the washer (the grey thing that's still in the plastic because I did not get that far. The thing next to it is the quick connect that came with the washer that doesn't actually connect directly to my particular faucet)...is this solvable in a not-too-difficult way? Or should I just give up and try to return this thing to the online retailer I bought it from? It SEEMED like such a great idea...
Name:  20130710_163423_resized.jpg
Views: 16513
Size:  26.3 KBName:  20130710_163436_resized.jpg
Views: 22680
Size:  28.4 KB

Attached Images  
Old 07-10-13, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
connecting the water may not be the issue its draining it... Will not be a good idea to drain in that littoe sink...

Perhaps I can guide you to a better location... Kitchen sink?

Show us where you want this thing... Possible you can add a trap and stand pipe from under the bathroom sink...?? Kitchen sink?

Your best bet is to get the hose I show that is a combo and use the unit in the kitchen sink... easiest IMO... That hose I show will fit your unit...

But if the tub is close by you can drain there..... Thats where the grey hose will go....

Old 07-12-13, 01:13 AM
Oh, yeah, I was planning on draining it into the bathtub...which is directly to the left of my bathroom sink...one caveat for not draining it into the kitchen sink is that the instructions state for best results to drain it into something that's 40-something inches or less in height because otherwise gravity is too much for the machine to push all the water out...

But as long as I can somehow attach the inlet hose to something??

Old 07-12-13, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator
Take a closer pic of that adapter..

Remove the aerator from the faucet and take a pic...

Thay adapter should screw where the aerator is....

Old 07-13-13, 02:53 PM
Ok, I'll take more pictures when I get home. I understand that the adapter goes where I take off the aerator...but they are different sizes...