Left toilet tank bolt leaking

Old 07-10-13, 07:38 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Left toilet tank bolt leaking

A few weeks ago, water was leaking from the base of the toilet. I removed the toilet in one piece to avoid an issue with leaking I had previously. I replaced the flanged and reassembled the toilet.

Both the water supply line and left toilet tank bolt were leaking. I have since re-tightened the supply valve and it does not leak. However, the left toilet tank bolt still leaks and it's driving me up the wall. The bolts appear to be brass and are new and not corroded.

I remember this happened years ago with 2 toilets and no matter what I did, I couldn't get the leak to stop and ultimately had to call in a plumber. I came this far and don't want to give in to call.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Old 07-10-13, 07:42 AM
O
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Did you re-tighten the left tank bolt?

Old 07-10-13, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
If its not the wax seal then look at the tank bolts and gasket... Sometimes water leaks down from there...

There is a chance too that the bowl has a hairline crack... I have seen it before and very frustrating to find....

Additionally you may not have replaced the flange properly... What did you use????? How did you replace?

Note: Mis-read post I think... The tank bolts and washers need to be installed in a certain order.... If wrong they will leak...

Old 07-10-13, 08:45 AM
C
I did tighten the left bolt, but still leaks.

Tank bolts and washers were not taken apart. The toilet was removed in once piece. It's possible something got loose, though unlikely.

Old 07-10-13, 08:22 PM
C
I put a rubber washer on the left bolt. Now it's leaking from both bolts and the supply valve.

I drained the tank and now have it sitting on the toilet base. This happened years ago and no matter what I did, I still had leaks.

Old 07-10-13, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
Hairline crack in the tank from over tightening... Seen it many times....

Could be??? Maybe?... Who knows... Not enough info....

Old 07-11-13, 07:55 AM
C
I'm reading that when one tightens the bolts on the toilet tank, you have to tighten them evenly.

How does one confirm they are on evenly? Using a level?

Old 07-29-13, 09:43 PM
HELP!!!
Had to replace the Tank Fill Unit, and did that successfully. However in doing so, I loosened the tank bolts because I thought it would be easier to get to the bottom of the tank to replace the tank fill unit. Have since replaced the bolts and all washers (rubber and metal) and still a super duper slow leak prevails, now from both of the tank bolts. Drained the tank a 4th time, wiped and cleaned bolts, wing nuts, washers and re-installed...STILL LEAKING FROM THE TANK BOLTS. should i just replace the toilet? Seems like I'm missing something.
PLEASE HELP!!

Old 07-30-13, 04:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Michelle, welcome to the forums! Using the sequence of bolts, washers and seal washers as Mike showed in post #3 is the most failsafe method of installing a toilet tank. You have to buy extra washers and seal washers and nuts, but you, in essence make the tank a sealed unit by doing so. Then when you set it on the bowl, all you are doing is holding it in place with the remaining nuts and washers. Have you done that, yet?

Old 07-30-13, 07:08 AM
C
I gave in and called a plumber. He had a hell of a time figuring out what the problem was. He basically replaced everything. (bolts, flap valve, bolts, water hose to wall).

Toilets in my case seem to be that they work fine, but once you drain them, the only way to get them back to working order is to replace all the internal parts.

It shouldn't be this way, but appears to be so.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: