Soap bubbles coming out of other sink drain

Old 07-10-13, 11:42 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Soap bubbles coming out of other sink drain

I typically wash my dishes by hand in the right side of a double sink. When I do so, soap bubbles begin to emerge from the drain in the left sink. When I tried filling up and then releasing the water from the right sink, it seemed to go down the drain very quickly. Therefore, I am skeptical that I even have a partial blockage. The left drain connects into the right drain through a downward-sloped horizontal pipe, and the p-trap is underneath the right drain. It is all PVC.

I previously had a garbage disposal under my left sink but I took it out a week ago and replaced it with a regular drain / sink basket. I noticed this problem occasionally with the garbage disposal, but it was infrequent. Perhaps the rubber flange / baffle in the left sink was just preventing the bubbles from coming out into the sink and I've had this problem for years . . . now I notice it whenever I spend more than a minute or two washing dishes.

Any thoughts on this odd issue??? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-13, 01:23 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I would check the vent first.

Old 07-10-13, 02:21 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
When you are doing dishes do you fill the right sink (drain is stopped) or do you leave the water running and soapy water going down the drain?

Soap bubbles can stay on top of flowing water and the gurgling of the soapy water dropping down the drain can create more bubbles. As more bubbles are formed they emerge out the other drain since there is no restriction.

Old 07-10-13, 05:25 PM
M
I leave the water running down the drain when I do dishes. The sink is not stopped up and the water goes down the drain without any problem.

Old 07-10-13, 05:27 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I get the same reaction of suds coming up the sink where the garbage grinder was once installed. It's normal.

Old 07-10-13, 06:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Just wait until you are washing pots and pans and the dishwasher empties. Bubbles will come up then, for sure!

Old 07-11-13, 10:59 AM
M
Thanks for the responses. So the bottom line is that this phenomenon is normal, my drainage system is functionally properly, and there is nothing that can be done to prevent the soap bubbles from coming up the drain (other than perhaps sticking the drain stopper in the other sink basket)?

I'm glad to hear that this is normal, but it's still somewhat annoying

Old 07-11-13, 11:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
The phenomenon is tied directly to bubble production. If it is a problem you can switch to a low sudsing soap. Not let so much water go down the drain when washing and use less soap. You can also close the stopper for the other sink basin.