Tub Replacement???

Old 07-11-13, 11:40 AM
H
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Tub Replacement???

I am a good handyman, but not as experienced as some of you plumbers out there. Someone wants me to replace a 45 yr old steel tub in an apt. I have set a few tubs, including replacing one in my house. I can't remember if I had to remove door jambs to remove/replace the tub thru a 24" door. In this project I would remove all tile surround, drywall and replace with cement board and fiberglass surround. I don't want to start only to find out that I can't physically get the tub in/out.

I am trying to give my customer the best value and therefore wondered about tub refinishing. Just don't know anything about its cost or durability. The old tub appears structurally sound, but is cosmetically shot.

Old 07-11-13, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
Steel tubs are light and easy to replace... You stand it up to get it through the door..... The apron should not be more then 24" but if it is you just slide the apron end through first.

Refinish I would only recommend on cast iron...

Old 07-11-13, 12:27 PM
H
Thanks Mike

I am also Mike. You've probably done a few hundred.

Old 07-11-13, 12:39 PM
H
One Add'l Q, Mike

What brands do you recommend? We made a huge mistake in our house of buying a really cheap fiberglass tub (wife liked the contour), that has cracked gel coat in under 10 years. This will be an expensive refurb for the owners, so I would like to install a quality steel unit. You recommended a Dreamline corner shower pan last year when I was rebuilding my shower and it looks great so far. It replaced a Mustee, which I would never buy again. I always enjoy positive feedback......thanks for your work on this board.

Old 07-11-13, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
My self kohler cast iron all the way... But I have a window in the shower...Tile.

Steel... American standard.... But

If I was doing a surround it would be a type of acrylic or what not....

You did not buy that americast stuff did you? Thats the worst..

Old 07-11-13, 01:22 PM
H
I haven't bought anything for the apt job yet. I have Aug 1-7 to do it. I'll get an Am Std tub. I do want to use a 3 pc surround to eliminate tile/grout and all of its problems. My customer owns 3 units and all have taken ceilings out below them over the years. I, too love Kohler CI tubs but at 68, I'm not even thinking that and far too expensive for an apt. If you could recommend a tub surround I'd appreciate that too.

Old 07-11-13, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
I would go with the sterling line... I know you had trouble with size with your install...

If rental you do not what glazed anything IMO.. No steel.

My upstairs is all sterling... Holding up great....

Ill be back with links...

Old 07-11-13, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Here are the walls I have. Nice three piece very easy to install and locks together great... Nice quality... Looks like tile and cleans easy. ( Really I never cleaned it in 5 years. Still looks clean...LOL)

Lots of built in shelf's... My kids have more shelf's then they know what to do with...LOL

Sterling Plumbing Ensemble Tile 37-1/2 in. x 60 in. x 54-1/4 in. Three Piece Direct-to-Stud Tub and Shower Wall Set in White-71104100-0 at The Home Depot

Steel tub you want or matching to these walls?

Oh whats the measurements?

Old 07-11-13, 05:26 PM
H
Thanks, man. That looks great and I have been happy with Sterling products. It is a std 30 x 60 tub, so that looks like the one.

Old 07-11-13, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
The one I linked is 37 1/2...

I have to see if that comes in that size... Can you put bigger tubs in???

Old 07-11-13, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Old 07-12-13, 07:41 AM
H
I saw the 37-1/2" dimension, but thought it would be ok to extend past the tub edge. I'll look at those today. It says direct-to-stud. Is that true, no cement backer board? Just glue to studs??

Old 07-12-13, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
No glue... Yes right to studs... I drilled holes in the flanges and screwed it per instructions....

I do not think you want to come out past the tub... That would look hokey... I linked to the 30" version of the ensemble model....... I probably would not get any other model..

Those ones with the integrated towel bare are cheaper IMO, and that bar always breaks...

If you can get a 32" tub in there then go with the complete pakage in the ensemble... $ 638.... Complete...

Sterling Plumbing: Ensemble™Tile Bath/Shower with Right-hand Drain: Bathtub Showers: Baths & Showers

Old 07-12-13, 08:54 AM
H
That is a nice unit and all the pieces look like they would be easy to get into the bathroom. It is shown with a right hand drain and I couldn't easily tell if a left is available, which is what I need. I suppose that plastic tub would be as good as a steel. Regarding looking hokey, that is not an issue here. The PRIME goal is to have a unit with minimal maintenance that never takes the ceiling below out again (particularly this unit because a nasty lawyer owns the underneath unit).

NEVER MIND: I Googled and found a left hand unit and better yet a local family owned building center is a Sterling dealer. If that 32" will fit, case closed. Thanks for all of your help.

Old 07-12-13, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
No problem.... Take pics and revisit.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: