Brand New Disposall Leaking from the bottom

Old 07-12-13, 06:30 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brand New Disposall Leaking from the bottom

I just installed a brand new GE Disposall. I ran water and ran the disposal to test for leaks and it was completely dry. I was so proud of my first DIY plumbing project. But, several minutes later (at least 10 - 15 minutes), the disposal leaked from the bottom. I've read that it might be a bad flywheel seal, but this is a brand new disposal. Could there be any other explanation? Any tips on fixing this leak? The thing that seems so strange to me is that it doesn't leak at all while the water is running.

Thanks for any help!

Old 07-12-13, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Did you hook a dishwasher hose to it? Did you run the dw? Did you knock out the plug in the disposal for dw? If not the dw will not drain and may be leaking out the hose.

Last did you put a new strainer in the sink? Did you use putty? Fill the fink and test for leaks...

Let us know...

Old 07-12-13, 08:28 PM
D
Dishwasher hose is connected to it and the plug was removed. It doesn't feel like there is any water on the side of disposal when it leaks - isn't that where it would be if that connection was leaking? I haven't run the dishwasher yet.

New strainer is in the sink with plumber's putty. It doesn't appear to be leaking when I fill the sink.

Tested it again. No dripping while the water is on or when the sink is filled. But, then, about 15 minutes after the sink is empty and the water has been shut off, water drains from the bottom of the disposal.

Old 07-12-13, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Did you drop it? Has plastic body?

Was the box damaged??? Probably has crack...

Old 07-12-13, 08:37 PM
D
It was never dropped (as far as I know) and the box didn't appear damaged. It does have a plastic body - I looked for cracks but didn't see any.

Thanks for your help - it looks like I'll have to call the store and try to exchange it for a new one.

Old 07-12-13, 10:02 PM
D
One last post to see if anyone has ever had this problem...

I filled the sink half-full and inspected for leaks. Nothing. Then I let the sink drain and checked for leaks. Nothing. Then I waited....and waited...and waited. 45 minutes later a small trickle of water came out of the plate that covers the electrical components on the bottom of the disposal. 45 minutes later!!! The outside of the disposal (sides, connections, etc) was dry everywhere else.

Any ideas would be helpful. I'm not even sure what to tell the home improvement store when I try to return it!

Thanks!

Old 07-12-13, 10:32 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I've seen it before I don't know why for sure but it happened to two different brands of garbage disposals. I switched brands thinking it might be a bad lot. Before installing the third disposal I replumbed the drain so it was lower. That seemed to work. I am not saying though that is your problem. Most home drains are lower than this one was. I think a small amount of water was setting in the bottom and slowly leaking into the junction box through a seal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: