Tub/bath value stuck?

Old 07-21-13, 10:13 AM
A
asi
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tub/bath trip lever value stuck?

I have a standard bathtub. There is a valve which one can use to collect water if needed to take a bath.

My tub was dirty so I added some bleach and collected/retained some water and left it over night. Now bath valve is kind of stuck. I have pushed valve up or down, but nothing is happening. I can't get rid of this water in the bath tub.

Where could be problem? How much would it cost to repair it?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by asi; 07-21-13 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-21-13, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Possibly the trip lever rod broke.. You need to remove the overflow/trip lever plate and have a look see...

Old 07-21-13, 10:22 AM
A
asi
Thanks. I think you need to explain in plain English (I don't mean literally English just simple language). What are you talking about?

Old 07-21-13, 10:43 AM
A
asi
OCD Girl Replaces Triplever Style Tub Face Plate - YouTube

Thank. Now I understand what a trip lever plate is. As you can in the video once remove the plate one can pull the plate along cable which goes down. I am trying to explain my problem.

In my case I "turned on" trip lever so there is already some water in the tub. Once I removed the trip lever plate, I can't pull out cable. Not sure if should use excessive force. I can see the pin which is attaching cable to plate.

But as I said I can't pull the cable,

1. there is very small working area.
2. I am afraid if cut the pin, cable will fall down.

I try to manually pull and push the cable but value under the tub does not move at all and water is still in the tub.

Old 07-21-13, 11:05 AM
A
asi
I watched few videos at youtube. Now I understand how does the system works.

Tub lever broken - YouTube

as shown in the above video there is a trip lever plate at one end of cable/rod and there is a stopper at the other end of cable. I don't use this bath very often. Is it possible stopper kind of stuck below or rusted etc. How to solve this problem.

Last edited by asi; 07-21-13 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-22-13, 08:17 AM
A
asi
Any one please?

I have old bathtub. Apt. is like 35 years old and not sure how old is bath tub. Perhaps the same.

It has rod connected to trip lever plate. I can't see what kind of stopper piece (plastic or metal) is at the other end of rod. Trip lever plate is kind of attached to rod. It can only be broken and one has to replace whole unit.

Situation:
I can't move rod attached to trip lever plate. It is small working area. I tried to pull the rod with plier but lower piece is stuck down there.

Old 07-22-13, 09:41 AM
T
You might try spraying some wd40 or PB Blaster down the overflow pipe and let it sit for a few hours. Worth a try.

Old 07-22-13, 09:52 AM
A
asi
Wd40

I already tried WD40 but no luck. What exactly is other stuff (PB Blaster)? as I don't know about it.

What kind of tool I need to pull rod. My plate is still attached so opening has very small working area. I tried with plier. I am able to hold of rod but it is not optimal situation so I don't know force I am using is optimum?

There few problem I am facing.

Lets say I am able to pull rod and piece below it (I don't know bottom end piece is either plastic or metal and size of it), then what to do? Keep pulling up and would I be able to take out from opening at the top replace the whole unit?

My trip lever plate need to be replaced as spring is broken and is kind of attached to rod via fixed joint (not sure how to explain it). If I break joint then I can't attach new plate because newer plates have different design.

I will try to take and post few pictures to explain.

Old 07-22-13, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
If you cant get it out it may be rusted... Did it ever move?

Possibly you may need to replace the whole waste and overflow....

Basement? Crawl? Access panel???

Old 07-22-13, 10:02 AM
A
asi
No it not ever move. I live in apt. on second floor. There is walk in closet behind tub plumbing.

How much cost are we talking about if I have to hire professional help?

I will try this WD40 again. If I am able to pull, would I be able to pull out bottom piece via opening?
I am thinking about cutting trip lever plate from joint. At least then I have full excess to opening. Good idea or bad?

Reason I am asking this, If cut plate to rod then I can't use new plate because of design issue.

Old 07-22-13, 10:38 AM
T
You should be able to pull the entire assembly out. Is it frozen solid or can you jiggle it up and down a bit? It moved down to the closed position so I don't think it is rusted or corroded in place. It's possible that something in the tub drain is holding it from coming up. Try snaking through the tub drain with a hanger and see if it frees up.

Old 07-22-13, 12:43 PM
A
asi
I don't know how do I move bottom unit from drain. I can't jingle bottom unit. Nothing is happening.

As I was explaining earlier I was trying to clean bath tub. There is still some water in the tub. If I would have been able to move little bit then that water would have gone. That explain this bottom unit kind stuck where ever it is.

As you can see from the picture, trip lever plate is attached to rod so I break this then whole unit need to be replace providing I can lift the unit.

Q. Should I break the lever plate from rod? Is there any chance this unit falling into drain if I am able to move/free up lower unit?

Attached Images   
Old 07-22-13, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
If you do not want a major repair pull that rod out..

Some you need to pull the stopper out of the drain befoe it comes out... Take pic of that...

Old 07-22-13, 01:37 PM
A
asi
I think now I got completely cooked!

I used force to pull out whole unit. I did not realize what "else" could have happened. Rod got free and left bottom unit in the bottom. There is a picture of what I got.

What are my options now? As you can tell I am not good in this stuff.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: