Stuck Thermostatic Shower Cartridge

Old 07-29-13, 02:21 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stuck Thermostatic Shower Cartridge

Hello all:

I have a very old Rubinet shower mixer with a stuck cartridge I can't remove. I have posted a picture, and you can see a clear seam where the cartridge and the body meet -- they are even slightly different colors. The folks at Rubinet have been helpful and told me that the cartridge twists out (as opposed to pulling). However, I cannot get it to budge. Part of the problem is the cartridge does not have a hex nut anywhere on it, it is completely round so it's hard to get a very good grip. I have tried:
  • Draining as much water as I can from the system by shutting the isolation valves and letting all the water drain from the shower head.
  • Spraying lots of CLR and WD40 on the cartridge
  • Using a propane torch to heat the cartridge around where it meets the housing
  • Tapping the cartridge with hammer to try and loosen it up
  • Grabbing the cartridge with channel locks and jerking as hard as I can. This has stripped quite a bit of metal from the cartridge and is torquing the entire body holding the cartridge so I'm a bit nervous about doing this too hard.

I'm hoping to preserve the treads on the housing around the cartridge so I don't have to get a new shower. Any ideas on how I can get the thing out? Thanks in advance.Name:  IMG_20130727_235532_2.jpg
Views: 4880
Size:  50.1 KB

Old 07-29-13, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
I would use a 14" or 18" wrench using constant pressure...no jerking motion....Looks like it unthreads at the body where the larger threads show.. Gripping at the area near the stem where it looks like you chewed it up some....

Old 07-29-13, 02:52 PM
D
You mean a plumber's wrench or channel lock pliers? Or either will do the trick as long as it's long?

Old 07-29-13, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
plumbers wrench....................

Old 07-29-13, 06:28 PM
D
It must be fate. I happened to pick up a 14" plumbers wrench last week because it was 70% off at the hardware store even though I wasn't sure what to do with it. Well it did the trick, thanks. Now I know what that thing is good for :P

Old 07-29-13, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
Good job.... Yes a wrench gives more torque and grabs better...not like pliers....Pliers you need the force of your hands to grip... wrench is different.

Wrenches egg things though sometimes.... Right tool for the right job...

Glad it worked out...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: