Toilet not filling or flushing properly

Old 08-07-13, 09:17 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet not filling or flushing properly

Hi all, my first post and I apologise now because I know absolutely nothing about toilets lol.

My toilet has not been flushing or filling properly for the past three days. To flush it, we have to really quickly pull the lever a couple of times, but sometimes this does not work.
I noticed today that the tank isn't filling properly, in my picture that I've attached, the 'thingy' that's in the red circle rises, yet if I push it down it allows the plastic 'thingy' in the blue square to drip the water in to the tank (I'm so so sorry!! haha) but even when the tank is full, it still isn't flushing properly, but does sound a little healthier.

We wanted to see if we could do it ourselves, but not entirely sure what the problem is.

Thank you

Attached Images  
Old 08-07-13, 09:42 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Had a small chuckle at the thingy description and appoligy. I've been helping a young co-worker with home renos and heard the same type of description and appoligy a number of times.

Anyway... back on topic....
Can't say I've seen a toilet with that exact arrangement before. I'm guessing my may be a water saver setup (I'm on well water, never upgraded my toilets).
Although I'm still trying to figure out how that arrangement in your photo works (and if it can be adjusted), the good news is you could replace the entire inner workings of the tank for probably less then $20CND. It's not expensive nor difficult.

Can you see any names or model information on that equipment inside the tank?
There looks to be something on the top of the grey piece in the center, but I can't read it in the image.

Old 08-07-13, 09:46 AM
M
Given the location you stated and the appearance of the toilet, I'm going to guess that it is a non-US toilet. If so, it will be difficult for most people here to assist you.

EDIT: fortunately, we have Northern Mike around.

Best I can say is to go online and learn how a toilet is supposed to work. In general;

1) When the water in the tank is low, the float (red circle) goes down and allows the water to come through the plumbing (somewhere in the blue rectangle)
2) When the water is high enough, the float goes up and shuts off the water supply
3) When you pull the handle, the valve going from the tank to the bowl opens. This allows the water to flow and flush the toilet.
4) When the water is low enough again, that valve closes, and you go back to step one.

Unfortunately, I do not see parts that I recognize enough to tell you where you might have a problem. My guess is that you have some sort of issue from the handle to the rectangle area, but that is only a guess.

The other possibility is that the large white thing is a float that controls water from the tank to the bowl. It generally wants to float on the water, but because it is has a good seal, it stays closed. Pulling the handle lifts it up, causes it to float, and thus the toilet flushes. When the water gets low enough again, that part rests in the hole at the bottom, and a seal is created that does not allow the white thing to lift up again until the handle is pulled. All that is how it is SUPPOSED to work. There might be a problem with it (a leak or something) that is not allowing it to float correctly while flushing.

I'd say that this is a problem you can fix yourself, but you might need to take some pictures to a local store (if you have one) to get all the parts.

Old 08-07-13, 10:28 AM
N
Given the location you stated and the appearance of the toilet, I'm going to guess that it is a non-US toilet. If so, it will be difficult for most people here to assist you.

EDIT: fortunately, we have Northern Mike around.
Hey, my toilet water drains in the same direction as yours.

On topic...
Our toilets in Canada are the same as the one's un the US.
Looking again at the picture it looks like an aftermarket water saving unit.
With the whole save energy and water movement, the market for water saving equipment inside the toilet tank has gotten pretty big from what I see. I'd put money on this being one of them.
The kicker is it's too hard to see anything from the picture (not that different angled shots would be possible).
Without being there, or having documentation on how this works/ is adjusted, The best I could offer is to spend a few $$ and pick up a replacement at your local hardware store. I hate to throw out something that might still be fine, just needs adjustments, but when all said and done, new ones are cheap, and come with instructions.

Old 08-07-13, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
OP is in the UK...looks similar to another recent post, but I can't find it now......

As has been said...would be best to take your pictures to a local hardware or plumbing supply store.

Old 08-07-13, 11:08 AM
N
OP is in the UK...looks similar to another recent post, but I can't find it now......

As has been said...would be best to take your pictures to a local hardware or plumbing supply store.
The advantages of being a super mod.

I'd still be interested in knowning the make/model (can't read the text on the top of the center piece). I'd bed a google search would yield some install/adjustment instructions.

A visit to a local plumbing shop might gain experience knowledge with the product.

Old 08-07-13, 11:33 AM
M
Hey, my toilet water drains in the same direction as yours.
Many people where I live think that yours goes more to the left.

Anyone know what the tube in the upper right is? My only guess is an overflow tube, but it seems like an odd way to incorporate that.

Old 08-07-13, 11:45 AM
N
Many people where I live think that yours goes more to the left.

Anyone know what the tube in the upper right is? My only guess is an overflow tube, but it seems like an odd way to incorporate that.
I had discounted that pipe as an overflow. If I remember correctly (been a while since I looked in any of my toilet tanks), mine have an overflow closer to the center, but same idea.

Old 08-07-13, 12:02 PM
As long as you are north of the equator, they all drain in the same rotation and opposite south of the equator. - I cannot offer much on the repairs or correction. The distance from the equator may affect the speed, but not the direction. The UK is further north from the equator than NY. Being on the equator must be a problem.

It is amazing at the amount of differences between different toilets and systems in different parts of the world. I have been in 41 countries and tried to take photos of every toilet in a hotel I have stayed it. - Front on, down on and the internals that lead to where and how the system is controlled just for information while being bored in a hotel at night.

I will add your photo to my "honorary" section of photos. - It looks like sleek system and there must be some local help that can help with adjustments necessary.

Dick

Old 08-07-13, 12:16 PM
N
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry
As long as you are north of the equator, they all drain in the same rotation and opposite south of the equator. - I cannot offer much on the repairs or correction. The distance from the equator may affect the speed, but not the direction. The UK is further north from the equator than NY. Being on the equator must be a problem.

It is amazing at the amount of differences between different toilets and systems in different parts of the world. I have been in 41 countries and tried to take photos of every toilet in a hotel I have stayed it. - Front on, down on and the internals that lead to where and how the system is controlled just for information while being bored in a hotel at night.

I will add your photo to my "honorary" section of photos. - It looks like sleek system and there must be some local help that can help with adjustments necessary.

Dick
Is it bad that a cartoon (The Simpsons) educated me regarding toilet drain directions way back when?

Being right at the equator adds an interesting twist to things. Maybe it just falls straight down, or gets confused and doesn't move.

Anyway, totally off topic.

Old 08-07-13, 12:36 PM
M
Oh, let's keep it off topic.

Coriolis effect, while real, is far overshadowed by toilet design. Water swirls in a particular direction because that is how the manufacturer made it.

snopes.com: Coriolis Force Effect on Drains

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: