removing our garbage disposal

Old 08-07-13, 09:47 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
removing our garbage disposal

So, we've got one. It never gets used because it sounds like a chainsaw when it starts and always scares the crap out of my wife and myself when we've hit the stupid switch on the wall by accident.

I want to remove it this weekend. However, this drags me into the two arenas of home ownership that I despise the most. Plumbing and electrical stuff. I read the article on here about how to remove the thing.

How to Remove a Garbage Disposal | DoItYourself.com

The article doesn't really explain how to tie the sink above into the drain of the other sink. Doesn't really explain what to do with the electrical either in terms of getting rid of (capping, doing whatever) to the wires.

I guess I should shovel everything out from under the sink and take a pic to get things started.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-13, 12:50 PM
W
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Removing Grabage Disposal

The plumbers will be along shortly.

Turn off the breaker feeding the garbage disposal. Disconnect and cap the wires at the switch. After disconnecting the wires from the disposal, cap them as well.

The bracket holding the disposal to the bottom of the sink gets replaced with a standard strainer basket and down tube. Then the drain gets a trap and a connection to the drain system. If you have a double sink, a double sink drain kit should do the trick.

Old 08-08-13, 01:37 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
This is a long thread but lots of pictures to help you understand. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/to...-shopping.html