Bathroom sink will not hold water.

Old 08-26-13, 06:30 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom sink will not hold water.

One week ago, my bathroom sink worked fine; would hold a basin full of water for at least 20 minutes without any sign of draining.

But then my fiance cleaned the bowl with some glass cleaner (might have had bleach or ammonia in it, I do not know). Since then, a full basin will be drained within ten minutes. As far as I can tell, there is no leak (pipes under the sink remain dry). I did remove the pop-up stopper and cleaned both that and the drain with just water and paper towels. Visual inspection revealed no deposits or cuts on the stopper, the stopper's gasket, or the drain.

Any idea on what happened and how I can fix it? I'd hate to pay for a new stopper just to learn that I need a new drain as well.

BTW, pushing firmly on the stopped does nothing to the rate of water loss.

Thank you

Old 08-26-13, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
I realize that the basin should hold water but why do you need it in there so long ?
You're not swimming in the sink....are you.

Most basin stoppers are metal on metal and usually seal ok. Does yours have rubber seal that may be damaged ?

Old 08-26-13, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
Maybe the trip lever needs adjusting....When you pull up on it , it may not seat all the way...

Old 08-26-13, 11:39 AM
M
PJmax; My morning routine involves filling the sink with hot water, taking a shower, draining and filling sink with hot water so my shave will be hot (instead of all the heat being taken out by the formerly cold sink).

It isn't so much that I need the sink to hold the water (well, I do need it to if I want it to stay hot, but it's not that huge a deal), it's that it USED to hold water perfectly, and I cannot figure out why it no longer does it or how to fix it.

When I mentioned the stopper's gasket, I did mean the pliable rubber ring just under the chrome top. I cannot find anything wrong with it; seems level, flat, round, and pliable with no tears.

Lawrosa; My fiance did not adjust the the trip lever when she cleaned the sink. All she did was "close" the sink and clean it with glass cleaner. During my inspections, I did take the stopper out to clean it and the drain. No adjustments were made and, as I said, pressing on the stopper did nothing. I even tried with the lever taken out to check for the seal. I still had a slow leak. Just an odd puzzle.

Old 08-26-13, 12:51 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Possible that she did not re-install the stopper correctly. If she failed to get the trip lever arm through the eye of the stopper body, it will sit up higher in the sink and not be able to be pulled down when you raise the lever bar. If you can lift the stopper body out of the sink without loosening something under the sink, then it is installed incorrectly. Only one way to remove and that is to loosen the retaining nut on the drain assembly and pull the lever bar back and out of the eye on the stopper. Reverse to re-install.

Old 08-26-13, 12:58 PM
M
She never touched the stopper lever (doubt she's even aware of how to). I removed the stopper after the leak started in order to diagnose the problem and re-installed it correctly with the lever through the eye.

Old 08-26-13, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
Yes stopper normally is locked in to work properly...

Old 08-26-13, 01:41 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
There are 2 adjustments you can make to the lever position.

-Where the trip handle loops over the lever bar, move it further to the back of the lever bar. This will increase the upward force you can apply.

- Where the bolt attaches the trip handle extension so that the handle reaches and can be attached to the lever may be loose and/or slipped. With a small socket, loosen the extension and move it down a little and tighten. You want to get the most movement out of the handle and lever system as possible. If it bottoms out before it completely seats it will leak. Your pulling to try to get it to seat may have caused it to slip.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: