NEED HELP: replacing stems in tub but I have never seen this type before

Old 08-27-13, 08:35 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
NEED HELP: replacing stems in tub but I have never seen this type before

I took a picture. It seems to be the packing nut but it is far too big than any packing nut we have seen before.

Everything is leaking and the knobs are "stripped" and won't turn stuff on....

What do I do?

Attached Images   
Old 08-27-13, 09:08 PM
D
that should be a packing nut. If you get it off, do you know if you can get new stems or seats if needed? Back off the stem 1/2 turn then get a hold of the nut and give it a good one. Probably corroded and stuck tight. If you have access to the back side, might be time for a new valve assembly.

Old 08-27-13, 11:02 PM
C
take off packing nut?

I need new stems but I am not sure where to get them. I haven't seen ones like these. Should I be able to replace them from home depot or lowes? I keep reading that you don't want to take off the packing nut. I have to in this case. So, do we just turn off the water and take off the packing nut and then bring the stem in to the store for a replacement?

Can I get a newer type of packing nut or a rubber washer instead?

Thanks!

Old 08-28-13, 06:11 AM
you can and will prob have to remove the packing nut.
Under that nut will usually be a graphite or lead covered twine wrapped multiple times around the stem. this creates a gasket which you will replace with packing string.

Under that you will prob need to replace the washer. You can rebuild stems before replacing.

What you will need to see is if the seat is in good condition.

At this point you might just want to pop some tiles (or go from behind) and replaced the entire valve.

Old 08-28-13, 06:35 AM
A
Received 69 Votes on 63 Posts
As far as the steps that you described, yes, shut off the water, remove the packing nut, remove the stems, and match them at the store. As for a store though, for older ones, I would skip the big boxes, and go to your nearest independent hardware store. I have found that many of the Ace stores are in this category, in that while they have all of the latest gadgets, they maintain a good inventory of the older stuff. As Dan said though, you might find that it's time to replace the assembly.

Old 08-28-13, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
Thats not really a packing nut... That looks like an American standard poppit type valve... That nut unterns and exposes the stem that should pull out... The packing would be O rings in this cas...

Old 08-28-13, 04:57 PM
C
American standard poppit?

I looked for an image of this and none of them looked like the one I have. Where can I get a replacement? Ace?

Is it still the same process? I shut water off, take it off and then take it to Ace andfind a replacement?

What do the original handles look like? We have these other ones and I don't think that they are correct and I hate them...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: