schluter kerdi question

Old 08-29-13, 11:24 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question schluter kerdi question

I am considering a schluter kerdi shower install. I don't understand how you would install a shower door that needs to be screwed into the curb. The curb is made of foam covered by the waterproof membrane and then covered by tile. I'm looking at a 60 x 32 schluter kerdi kit. So the shower door (pivoting) would have a stationary panel that is anchored to the curb.What, exactly, are you drilling and screwing into that will securely anchor the shower door? Drilling and screwing into the tile alone isn't secure? Drilling into the membrane would seem to compromise the waterproofing and drilling into the foam doesn't seem too secure either. I'm confused!!! Please help.

Old 08-29-13, 01:56 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The curb is made up of stacked 2x4" laid flat and glued and screwed to the subfloor. Then the Kerdi is mounted and the membrane is wrapped. This is what you screw into. You also want the make sure you have solid blocking on the walls to support the weight of the door as it pivots and applies force to the top rail. Properly sealed/caulked doors will not leak so that the puncture of the membrane by screws should not be an issue.

Old 08-29-13, 02:40 PM
M
Thanks czizzi. I'm assuming, from your response, that the foam curb included in the kit is not being used and the stacked 2x4 is replacing it.

Old 08-29-13, 05:55 PM
No, the stacked 2x4 goes inside the foam curb. 2x4"s down, slide the foam curb over and complete per directions. The foam is a sleeve that fits over the 2x4 curb base.

Old 08-30-13, 10:23 AM
M
Thanks czizzi, I thought the foam curb was a solid piece.

Old 08-30-13, 07:46 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you are using the full schluter shower kit, you would be using the provided foam curb and no 2x4s. The curb is set in mortar, wrapped with kerdi then thin set and tile. To install a shower door you would be drilling holes, installing plastic sleeves and installing screws. The curb is often done with a threshold piece, angled slightly towards the shower for drainage.
Check out the info and videos at schluter.

Old 08-31-13, 07:17 AM
M
Thanks dan0661. The curb that comes with the full kit just doesn't seem like enough to support the shower door that I want to use. I'm going to look into the curb that czizzi mentioned that uses the stacked 2x4. By the way, where do you get the curb that you can use the stacked 2x4's with?

Old 08-31-13, 09:18 AM
Go to a tile store or a flooring store that sells tile, they can order one for you. Don't think the box stores carry these (I don't do much tile work through box stores). The one I use is thin foam with a coating of cement/polymer on it to give it a little more rigidity.

Here is an example for your reference as to what they look like.

Tile Shower Pans, Benches and Niches - Lifetime System Warranty

Old 08-31-13, 01:07 PM
M
Thanks again czizzi. Now I can visualize what you have been saying and that's what I will do. Schluter says that their form curb can hold the weight of a shower door but I don't believe that an anchored screw in tile, mortar and foam is structurally sound enough. I want something that will last and not present a problem down the line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: