Tub/Shower valve not working

Old 09-18-13, 12:02 PM
Tub/Shower valve not working

Could anyone help identify this valve please? It is in a a secondary bathroom that does not get much use. When I try to turn the diverter to hot or cold, nothing moves. I think it needs to be replaced but am not able to identify the brand. Thank you
Name:  Tub Shower valve.jpg
Views: 3425
Size:  7.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-13, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
need to see a better pic of the valve only. Too far away....My tired eyes aint that good anymore.

How old is the home? Is it original?

The plate looks familiar but I cants pin point it right now.... Thinking..

Old 09-18-13, 01:15 PM
Sorry about that, hope this is better
Name:  photo (2).jpg
Views: 2520
Size:  19.7 KB

Old 09-18-13, 01:18 PM
And to answer your question, my home was built 1976. I never changed the valve since I bought it in 1985, not sure about previous owner thought.
The water comes on but the hot/cold handle does not turn at all.

Old 09-18-13, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
Ohhh, and please a pic of the handle....

Thanks..

The handle is most important in identification.

Old 09-18-13, 01:38 PM
I am not sure if I ever changed the handle, I know I changed the diverter handle for sure. If I ever changed the handle then it would have been from an old clear plastic one to this chrome look alike.Name:  Handle.jpg
Views: 4519
Size:  24.0 KB

Old 09-18-13, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Thermostatic..

Its a MIXET shower valve.

There is alot of info out there and replacement parts. Do a google search...

I will try to locate some info... You want the cartridge I assume?

Old 09-18-13, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Old 09-18-13, 01:54 PM
Thank you for the information, now a how-to question

I first turn off main water supply to the house, right?

then, do I simply use a regular wrench to unscrew the old one or what should I do?

Old 09-18-13, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
Yes that big chrome piece holds the cartridge in. Turn CCW I would wait until you get the cart. If something happens you will have no water if you cant get it back together.

Old 09-18-13, 02:23 PM
Thank you for your help.

I was reading about those Mixet shower valves and noticed that they used to be temperature or balance control valves, I guess now they are all the same.

I just hope that it does not affect water pressure or heat control when I have guests taking showers in two different bathrooms at the same time. It never used to be noticed before.

Old 09-20-13, 03:14 PM
ok, so I went and bought my valve replacement today, turned off the water and followed all instruction to take valve out .....but it is stuck in there and am not able to pull it out. I wiggle it side to side while pulling at the same time but it is not budging. Any suggestions?

Old 09-21-13, 07:56 AM
My attempts to loosen that cartridge failed and to add to that the plastic parts broke as well so now I am at a loss as what to do to get that last third of the cartridge out of the pipe. Any suggestions please.

Old 09-21-13, 08:06 AM
Hi lawrosa...I am in desperate need of a little more coaching. Please see my posts from yesterday and today and advise me if possible. I am have been without water in the house since then and am stuck.

Old 09-21-13, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
Sorry....Can you take a pic so I see ehat you have?

If its in the body I may suggest a large drill bit to ream it out, then kind of pick and chisel. Stay away from the edges of the body though... It you damage the body your sc$%^wed...

Old 09-21-13, 09:34 AM
Success, I got out the last bit out. It is a brass end piece not like the new Mixet which is plastic. Anyway, now I greased the O ring and bottom part BUT the cartridge is not going all the way in. I even cleaned the inside of the pipe with soap before hand too. I checked the inside of the pipe to make sure all is clear and it is. I also checked the new one next to the old one all seems ok so far. Any suggestions?

Old 09-21-13, 09:55 AM
This is how far I got so farName:  Mixet Cartridge.jpg
Views: 4468
Size:  19.8 KB

Old 09-21-13, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
What do the instructions say? Is it keyed?

Old 09-21-13, 10:41 AM
no instructions on package at all

Old 09-21-13, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
There is an arrow???

Nomix Inc. | Installation Instructions

Old 09-21-13, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Read here too.

MIXET shower valves

Possibly the wrong cart?

What part # did you get?

Old 09-21-13, 11:11 AM
I bought the Mixet you told me about MS-5AT. Now it I am back to square one, it is just stuck in that position, not in and not out.
the instructions you sent me now show a couple of screws on the side, but I do not have that, just straight cartridge.

At this point I just need to do anything to secure it until I can find a better one, just so I can turn water back on.

Old 09-21-13, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
couple of screws on the side
They are stops to turn the water off at the valve so you can have water in the home while repairing. You dont have them???

The 5 AT is for yours as the home was built 1985 and its 4 1/2". The others are 6 1/4" and for 1968 and earlier...

I cant fathom whats wrong?

I sorry and am trying to find you a solution. I know its frustrating. I am not there so it is somewhat difficult and I am guiding you best I can....

Old 09-21-13, 11:25 AM
I do appreciate all your help you have been really helpful. I know that this cartridge is the correct one for my home just not sure why I am having problems with it.

BTW I do not have those valves on the side, no.

Now I sprayed the inside of the pipe once more with vinegar because that is what finally got the old one out. I am going to head to the store to get another cartridge in the meantime, just in case.

If you find out anything else please let me know because I would like to be able to turn water back on for now.

Old 09-21-13, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
Ram that may be as far as it goes in. Does the retainer screw on and but against that brass ring on the cart????

Old 09-21-13, 11:31 AM
no it does not that is why I tried to keep pushing it back in. when I tested the space with just my finger I knew that the cartridge should go in up to the brass ring.

Old 09-21-13, 05:32 PM
Smile

Hi lawrosa, I am happy to report that all is well now and my water is back on. I went to a small hardware store by me that usually has difficult to find hardware for older homes. They had the Mixet cartridge that looked just like mine, meaning the last section of it is brass and it had the little red mark with the word UP on the front. So after some muscle work I managed to get the other plastic cartridge out and installed the new one with the brass section and it went very smoothly, no problem. So I guess the better quality of Mixet cartridge is the one with the brass bottom and the up red indicator. I have no idea of manufacturer's name since it was in plastic bag saying made in Taiwan. Not sure what was wrong with the all plastic one from HD but hey c'est la vie.

Thank you for all your help coach, I really appreciate it all.

Old 09-21-13, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
Thank god... I was getting worried there and felt I was to blame somewhat. Again its hard that I am not there. That cart you had possibly was the type like in the link I sent where the inside edge needed to get deburred or something.

Can you post that part # so that it may help others?

Old 09-22-13, 12:02 PM
I will get you that part number from the store when I go tomorrow (closed on Sunday) because that part was in a clear plastic bag with nothing but the price on it. The only difference I could see on the one that fit properly, was that the bottom part of the valve that goes in the pipe is brass and not plastic like the HD type and like the one in the plumbers supply site.

Now my only problem is that the temperature control handle (a new one too) is not seating and the cold/hot is opposite the norm of left and right but that is an easy fix.

Not sure why the control handle is not staying put though so I will just get another one.

Thanks again

Old 09-22-13, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
cold/hot is opposite the norm of left and right but that is an easy fix.

I believe you need to turn the cartridge 180 degrees.

Old 09-22-13, 03:52 PM
Thanks that was a quick fix for the hot/cold problem, thanks. I now just hope to find a better temperature control handle that stays put. Hopefully that small hardware store by me has one. Will see tomorrow.

Old 09-22-13, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
It should stiffen up as you use it and the internals swell some.

Old 09-23-13, 02:49 PM
The Mixet cartridge that worked for me is like the one in the photo, with the brass section in the lower part.
If one does a google search as Mixet Cartridge part#163442 you can find it easily but be sure to get the one with the brass section not the all plastic one.Name:  photo (6).jpg
Views: 3185
Size:  22.9 KB