Shower remove and install

Old 09-20-13, 08:27 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower remove and install

I want to know if it is possible to remove a 34in round one piece shower stall without breaking it and re-install it in another bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-13, 02:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It may be possible to relocate a shower, but in many instances the bases and side walls are such that when you try to take them apart, they will break or the drains are not located in the same place, or the supplies are ill placed.

With that in mind, 34" showers can barely be turned around in to begin with, so having one is like having no shower at all, IMO. I would opt to install a larger one downstairs as you plan on doing upstairs. I know there is additional cost, but no more than a broken shower will introduce.

Will the 38" one you propose upstairs fit the drain location?

Old 09-21-13, 05:11 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the reply. Here is my situation, downstairs I don't have the room to put a 38in and upstairs I have room. Upstairs is also our main bath. Thats why I wanted to reuse the 34in. Drains are not a problem because I have access from downstairs if I need to change anything. Downstairs I am installing the saniflo pump so drain location doesn't matter either. Also with the 38in upstairs I wanted to use the 38in base, tile the walls and install a shower column. I don't see any screws attaching the 34in shower stall so I am guessing that it is attached with contractors glue. Thats my big problem, I don't know how it is attached, I need to know this in order to take it off. I don't mind a big job, I'm a pretty good DIYer. Any more ideas or should I just forget it and install another 34in downstairs.

Old 09-21-13, 09:11 AM
OK, the walls of the present shower are probably glued to the wall. Good luck in removing them without cracking them. Go carefully. Good idea on tiling the walls on the upstairs above the base. I think you will be better satisfied. Now, the original 34" was round, how will that affect your construction of a tile wall? BTW, don't worry about glue residue on the walls after you remove the old panels, you will need to remove all the sheetrock anyway and put in a concrete backer underlayment for the tiles.

Old 09-22-13, 06:42 AM
If you're still here, You sent a PM, but had your preferences set to NOT receive PMs so I was not able to personally respond. I found your thread and responded there. You may want to change your preferences if you PM any more. Good luck with the showers!!