Bathroom Sink Drain: Pvc to metal leak from nut

Old 09-28-13, 07:48 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bathroom Sink Drain: Pvc to metal leak from nut

Hi, Can you please help me with my plumbing question? I had a leak with my plumbing underneath my bathroom sink because the metal p trap rotted at the bottom. So I replaced all the plumbing from the sink up to the metal J tube. I see a small leak where the plastic u tube meets the metal jamb nut (just above the nut) only when the sink is draining a full sink of water. What do I have to do to seal the metal to the PVC? I have a washer under the nut. I already tried tightening the metal nut with a channel lock wrench but it seems tight. Here is a pic
pic This pic show the plumbing is not fully assembled so the leak is not the obvious one in the picture! Thanks for your help!

Old 09-28-13, 08:02 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I would cut a piece of that pipe & use a rubber coupling to join a PVC J to it but Lawrosa will have a better idea.

Old 09-29-13, 05:36 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why would you not just replace the whole trap assembly with PVC instead of leaving that one piece of poor condition brass and reusing the old nut? The whole set is about $5.00.

Old 09-29-13, 06:08 AM
Received 287 Votes on 257 Posts
I agree with joecaption1.

However, any sink trap must be almost perfectly plumb (straight and inline). Hand tight of the slip nut should be good enough to prevent leaking. Using a wrench is not necessary and may damage the nut and washer.

Old 09-29-13, 06:29 AM
V
Pulpo, I have the same configuration under my kitchen sink. It works ok. joecaption1, what do you mean? Do you suggest replacing the metal section to the wall? Does that involve removing the sheetrock? Please explain further.

Old 09-29-13, 06:36 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Sometimes, you just can't replace 1/2 of the plumbing. That's why he's saying to remove the pipe that goes into the wall. It may be threaded & you won't have to touch the dry wall. That pipe is not in the best condition.

Old 09-29-13, 10:16 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
While not a permanent solution, Try the addition of a little plumbers putty above the washer on the j-tube connection. Is the washer a plastic one or a rubber one? If plastic, try a rubber one which will compress more as opposed to a plastic rigid one.

Personally, I would change it all out to a PVC trap, cut the copper pipe at the correct depth and connect with a Fernco coupler.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: