Shower Head Dripping when turned off - Pfister Model

Old 10-07-13, 10:14 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower Head Dripping when turned off - Pfister Model

We moved into a new place and the shower in the bathroom is a stall. Not a tub, so only has the shower head and the knob to turn on/off water.

I did some research on the model and it is a Price Pfister R89 808 series.

Here is what's happening :

When we turn on the shower, no issues. We shower and turn the handle back to off position. But when this happens, the shower head drips some water for maybe 5 minutes or so slowly. It's a slow drip and goes away and we don't notice it anymore.

But then something happened last night around 1am. I heard the shower drip again and it had not been turned on since 9am that morning. It dripped like for 10 seconds pretty fast and stopped.

I talked to my neighbor about this and he thinks it's the pressure releasing some of the water out of the faucet head. The faucet head connects to a S shaped like pipe that goes into the wall.

I'm not 100 percent sure my neighbor's theory is right. I'm just afraid if it's not a bigger issue with the piping or maybe the faucet and parts need to be replaced?

Thanks.

Old 10-07-13, 01:39 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I would look at the cartridge in the shower body.

Old 10-14-13, 09:43 AM
N
Hi Pulpo. Thanks for the advice. I contacted the manufacturer and they will send out a new cartridge to me.

What's funny is when I posted this, the leak stopped happening until last night around the same time midnight. The water came on for like 10 seconds and stopped. It's just weird it happened around the same time for the same length of time.

Other than the cartridge, could the venting system have anything to do with this? I snaked it out last week but there was pretty much nothing in there.

Old 10-14-13, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
If its single handle then the water diverts with the tub spout if you hav a tub. If shower only and you have a spray wand, you must drain the hose and let it hang in the shower. There should be a vacuum breaker on the hose.

But it could be the cart leaking through... I would think the leak would be steady though and not intermittent...

Old 10-14-13, 11:32 AM
N
Thanks for the response lawrosa.

It is a single single handle and only the shower faucet part. No spray wand. My friend suggested that it could be air in the vent that releases from time to time causing it. Does that make any sense?

The parts are like on this page minus the drain at the bottom :

http://www.faucetdepot.com/product-i...r-P808LT0K.jpg

So when I use it, i just turn the single handle and the water comes out of the shower head. When I turn it off, it does leak for a while but small drips. Then for hours you'll see a small bubble of water coming from one of the holes. Not all the holes, but the one most nearest the wall. Then all of a sudden in middle of the night, you get 10 seconds of loud dripping then it stops.

Old 10-15-13, 06:30 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
You have residual water in the shower head and arm that is fighting friction and gravity. Normally it would just drain when turn off the water. But sometimes the water gets stuck as it needs air allow it to drain. Eventually, the air gets into the head and allows the balance of the residual water to gush out. It may be a change in temperature late at night that causes the release of the surface tension or whatever. I suspect, if you tap on the shower head you could duplicate the same thing. I have seen similar in large rain head shower sprays that hold a lot of water.

I would look to see if there is some calcium build up inside the shower head that is somewhat blocking the spray holes. Not enough to stop the flow when pressure is released, but enough to cause the head to not drain after the shower. Remove and soak in CLR or Lime away to see if it helps.

Old 10-19-13, 12:05 PM
N
Hi Cizzi,

You were absolutely right. After taking a shower, I tried to tap the showerhead and it sort of worked.

But in the middle of the night again, I heard it and got up and tapped it like a few minutes after it happened and I got to replicate it. It dripped for a few seconds and stopped.

Now I wonder if I need a new showerhead instead. When I took a shower today, I also noticed that there was a leak coming from where the shower head and shower arm meet. It didn't drip a lot of water, but enough to notice. I tried to unscrew the showerhead off but it was really tight. I'll try to get some tools and try getting the shower head off this weekend.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: