Moentrol shower no water at hot setting ?

Old 10-08-13, 08:09 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moentrol shower no water at hot setting ?

I just bought a house (built in 2004) that was owned by a couple that had a developed family, in which all their kids moved out. So there are 2 bathrooms that may have been not used in a while. 2 showers with Moen Moentrol valves have no water flow when turned to hot. The master bath, with the same valve works fine. There is hot water in the faucet next to both showers. Am I to be looking at the balancing spool(1423) or cartridge(1225)?

Thanks

Old 10-10-13, 05:42 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Since there are more than one shower involved, I would first make sure that all valves are opened in the cellar. Then move to the individual showers.

Old 10-11-13, 06:38 AM
L
Thanks for the reply, but that has been done. There are no shutoff valves for the showers that I could find. One shower is in the basement, and the other is on the 2nd floor. Again the master bath shower works fine. All showers have the same valve. Both have sinks next to them with working hot water. I'm located in Cincinnati OH, which is a hard water area if that helps.

Old 10-11-13, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
The cartridges are cheap enough to change. I would start there.

If not the cart then p=ull the plate off and see if the stop on the body has been closed for some reason...

This is for example only. The screws on the H/C sides turn off the water.

Old 10-11-13, 09:01 AM
L
I thought about the stops being closed... But then I came to understanding that it would be really weird for the previous owner to close the stops and then caulk the trim plate back on.

As I'm not too familiar with the theory of operation of a shower valve, I'm trying to clarify: If the water shuts off at a particular setting (hot or cold) with the Moentrol valve (pull to turn on water flow), would that be an issue with the cartridge or the balancing spool? Which one controls the flow from the H and C inlets?

It may be simpler to answer: What does the cartridge and the balancing spool do?

Thanks for any info.

Old 10-11-13, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Could be the balance spool... But I have seen washers on the cart swell and break and block the flow of water.

You get nothing at all or a drip?

You could call moen and get the parts for free possibly. Lifetime warranty. The spools on the moentrols are a pain to get to, but I like the moentrols better.

The spool is in that large flat blade on the right. 2004????

Possibly yours may not have one, as I remember I had old stock for my upstairs bath in 2005 that did not have a balance spool...

Last edited by lawrosa; 10-11-13 at 10:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-11-13, 09:41 AM
L
No drip. As I move the lever from C to H, the water goes from full flow cold to partial flow cold to no flow at all. Yes, built in 2004.

Would it be a good idea to :
1. remove the trim plate
2. shut off the water main
3. remove the cart
4. close the cold water stop at the valve
5. turn water back on for a brief moment
Then check for water to come out?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: