Toilet leaking ....Tank to bowl connection.

Old 10-17-13, 08:54 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Toilet leaking ....Tank to bowl connection.

Doing a favour for a friend. Very old Standard toilet 50 years old?
OK so I noticed a small constant drip down the back of the toilet. right where the tank sits on the bowl inlet area. I bought a gasket (rubber washer that fits snug )Seems like the correct one. Its labelled Spud washer.

However after I got it all together its still leaked. the two bolts on either side seem to be bottoming out(not seating correctly?), either that's the problem and/or the rubber washer isn't big or deep enough? I don't seem to be getting that squeezing action of clamping the washer that I would like.

I got the number off the bowl and called a plumbing house that deals with Standards. The counter guy couldn't help me and suggested I replace the whole toilet bowl lol?
could post pictures if need be,
any suggestions or next step welcomed?

Old 10-17-13, 10:25 AM
A
Received 69 Votes on 63 Posts
I would assume that the threads are stripped of buggered up at the point where they were orinally tightened to, or that the shoulders are too long. Have you inspected them? If you can't run the nuts all the way down the treads, or if the shoulder measures too long for them to be adequately tightened, pick up a new set at your local hardware or big box, and see how that works.

Old 10-17-13, 11:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 751 Votes on 690 Posts
I would go a step further and say replace the entire toilet. Get a good quality, modern, low flow toilet. That 50 year old toilet takes a huge amount of water to flush. Good, modern toilets have a good flush and save a lot of water.

---
A spud washer goes between the tank & bowl. If it's leaking it generally only shows when flushing and does not constantly leak. Like aka mentioned it's probably the tank attachment bolts. How are they installed (where did you put nuts & washers)? Some toilets will allow you to put a nut under the tank so you can tighten that without being on the bowl while others don't have enough room and can only be secured while on the bowl.

Old 10-17-13, 12:19 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
I'm with Dane, I wouldn't even consider trying to fix the existing unit.

Old 10-17-13, 12:23 PM
Z
Received 34 Votes on 33 Posts
Well the other guys beat me to it, and they know more than me, but what I was going to say was:

Tell the counter guy to stick his head in a toilet bowl!!

Iím no plumber but it sounds like your washer just isnít the correct thickness, not thick enough. Why not go to HomeDepot and look at these:

American Standard Bowl to Tank Coupling Kit-047188-0070A at The Home Depot

I know that isn't your toilet but I think you will find different thicknesses there in various kits(at least I think so). i believe some old toilets require an extra thick washer.

My problem always seemed to be that the washer seemed to be too thick (but it really wasnít) and in order to keep the tank from rocking it seemed like you had to keep tightening and tightening, compressing the washer more and more, until the tank was down nice and tight and would not rock.

p.s. I have a 1950's American Standard toilet and one of the tank-to-bowl washers at HD did in fact work, but I realize that varies, may not fit yours, and may not be your problem. As was pointed out, those old toilets sure use a lot of water.

Old 10-18-13, 07:27 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
The constant leak can not come from the large toilet gasket (spud washer) as it is only exposed to water during the flush cycle. The flapper prevents water from getting to this seal when the toilet sits idle. The two tank bolts however, are exposed to water 100% of the time and are most likely the source of the leak. New washers and bolts are available and fairly straight forward to replace. You will need a thicker toilet gasket so that the toilet will not "bottom out" before you can secure the bolts. If it bottoms out to quickly, you may have to apply to much force to tighten the tank and risk cracking the toilet in the process.

Old 10-18-13, 11:56 AM
Z
czizzi that just brought back a vague memory from the distant past! LOL I think I remember putting in a toilet for my sister she bought from HD. I followed the instructions to the letter but never checked that the flush valve was fastened properly to the tank. The instructions were very specific and never mentioned checking or adjusting that. So I didnít fool with it.

If I remember it did in fact leak out at the tank-to-bowl gasket. Had me going for a while. Finally traced it back to the fact that the flush valve was not installed properly to the tank off the assembly line. (Iím not sure it was just tightness, but alignment also maybe?) I believe that was in fact what happened. (But all my memories are dim anymore.LOL)

Wonder if that is where the leak is in bikeís case here?

This seems like a good video at least to me anyway and it shows all the parts:

How to Replace a Flush Valve | PlanItDIY

Wait a minute! If I had the tank-to-bowl gasket on properly - the leak should have been just down into the bowl? Not on the floor. But I think it was on the floor ....oh well, too long ago, but maybe in bike's case it would be best to check everything.

Last edited by zoesdad; 10-18-13 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-20-13, 07:21 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
update

I found and replaced a deeper spud washer.
I read the post about making sure the bolts weren't stripped they were not! I did however check the tightening of the Flush valve and it was a bit loose so I clamped that down before securing everything. this was before I got a chance to read the 2 nd post from Zoesdad.
Who seemed to cover all bases! lol
So far all seems well.

Old 10-20-13, 09:54 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
my toilet is 30yrs old (1983) and yeah - used a LOT of washer per flush.

yeah, i could've bought a fancy new modern toilet with the seat too small for my butt - or i could've paid $15 for a retrofit kit that converted it to dual-flush and set it so that the tank didn't empty out all the way on the full flush.

Old 10-20-13, 10:18 AM
Z
biketrax-

...So far all seems well.

Good to hear. Sure your friend is happy.

One thing about replacing the old toilets that I never thought about until I broke the tank (clumsy me) is that if they are one of those old "funny" colors (LOL) you are up the creek. Mine is a beautiful 1950's yellow LOL- but actually I like it.

Could not even come close to that color. I thought "this is crazy, I have to replace the sink and tub also because I broke the toilet tank? Can't be!". But I found the exact toilet on ebay and that solved my problem.

I guess that's one of the things you have to think about when you buy a house with older fixtures. Never occurred to me.

Good luck!

Old 10-20-13, 11:52 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what's the name of the toilet the regulars on here are always recommending? It's like the flagship of toilets from the sounds of things. Not sure what's so special about it, or whether or not we can even get it in Canada.

My wife has finally convinced me that she wants to finish the tiling of the floor in the bathroom and replace the toilet in spite of the fact that we only have one bathroom in the house. It's only been a couple of years after all. She has instructed me that we can use a bucket in the shed for a few days while the tiling is completed!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: