Toilet flush causes very loud extra rushing-water noises

Old 10-26-13, 06:36 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet flush causes very loud extra rushing-water noises

Hi =) So, I'm clueless about everything practical in the world, but I know this isn't right and something needs to be fixed.

Today our toilet started doing something weird — every time you flush it, you hear a very loud rushing sound. This isn't the normal "flush" noise, it's an extra, additional loud rushing sound. Kind of like a toilet chorus.

It sounds like someone is turning a faucet on at full-crank at the same time the toilet is flushing, then it slowly quiets back down as the toilet refills and eventually stops. Although, a very gentle trickling sound remains at all times afterwards.

I have made an advanced scientific diagram showing the inside of our toilet tank and labeled things in a studious, intelligent manner as Thingy #1-4. It is attached below. (The forum resized the image down pretty tiny, let me know and I can upload a bigger one and link to it, if you're having trouble seeing things clearly)

I tried messing around inside the tank and discovered the following points:
  • Touching Thingy #1 while the toilet is flushing makes the sound much worse and much louder.
  • Holding up Thingy #2, so that Thingy #3 is raised in the air, makes the sound completely stop.
  • A lot of large, turbulent bubbles flow out all around Thingy #1 in the Bubble Zone until the toilet stops flushing and refills.
  • The trickling sound stops if I jiggle the handle until the chain attached to Thingy #4 shakes and moves to a different spot.
Does anyone have any ideas what's wrong and how to fix it? I can also go back and experiment to gather more Toilet Data™ if I accidentally left out any important details or observations.

TY if anyone can help

Attached Images  
Old 10-27-13, 12:17 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace thingy #1 with a new Fluid Master Flush valve.
About a 15 min. and $10.00 fix with a pair of channel lock plyers.
fluidmaster instructions - Bing Videos

Old 10-27-13, 05:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The Fluidmaster will come with Thingy #1, #2 and #3 as a unit, but the arm and bulb will go away. Buy one with Thingy #4 in the kit and change it out, too.

Old 10-27-13, 07:39 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
This is what you are looking for- Fluidmaster 400A

Name:  Fluidmaster 400A.jpg
Views: 6085
Size:  14.8 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: