small bubbles forming in toilet

Old 11-02-13, 12:03 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
small bubbles forming in toilet

Less than two weeks ago the city had someone come out to replace our water meter, they're doing this through out the neighborhood. for what it's worth we we're also having a new furnace installed while the meter was swapped out. While checking things out once the meter was changed I noticed our main floor toilet sounded different filling up after flushing. I took apart the fill valve and hooked it back up and that seemed to fix that. However, since that day and I can't be sure if I just haven't noticed it before, there's been tiny bubbles in the tank and bowl in both the main floor toilet and the one in our basement. When you flush they go away and then reform after a few hours. You can see them attached to the parts inside the tank and around the lip of the hole in the toilet bowl and around the bowl in general where the water is. Can't say that I've noticed any difference in how they flush or fill back up. All the other plumbing from what I can tell runs and drains fine as well. No noises or smells. So I'm not sure if this is normal and I just didn't notice it until now or if something is up?

One thing I did notice with just the main floor toilet is that the water level in the tank after a while goes down a little bit a couple hours after flushing. But there's no change in the bowl.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

Old 11-02-13, 12:08 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Add some red food coloring to the tank and see if it shows up in the bowl.
The flapper may be leaking.

Old 11-02-13, 03:42 PM
A
Tried that and let it sit for about 30 minutes didn't see any green in the bowl until I flushed. Here's a pic from the basement toilet to give an example of what shows up in the bowls and tanks. Not sure if this is just a normal thing that happens or if somethings up.

Attached Images  
Old 11-02-13, 04:22 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Take a pic of inside the tank, if your fill hose is just stuck into the fill tube it will siphon water out of the tank. The level in the bowl doesn't change as it is set with a trap that maintains a max water level.

Old 11-02-13, 04:49 PM
A
Here's pics of both, the first one goes with the bowl pic I posted before. The second goes to the main floor toilet. Before the two hoses were clamped in with metal paper clips. When I messed with the fill valve I ended up replacing those with these plastic ones. I also lowered the fill valve a bit lower in case the water was to high.

Attached Images   
Old 11-03-13, 06:38 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Quick look seems like the flappers are showing some wear. The different color of the red flapper around the edges is a sign of age and should probably be replaced. The blue flapper with the foam floatie is also dated.

Are you saying that you just changed the clips on the fill tube hoses?

The water level in the tank should be set 5/8" below the top of the fill tube.

Give the bowls a good scrub. The work on the water main usually kicks up some silt that goes throughout your house. There could be a thin layer of smudge on the bowl walls that is giving the bubbles some place to form. Getting back to a smooth clean bowl wall should help.

Old 11-03-13, 07:34 AM
A
Yeah those white clips the hoses are attached to are new. One other fun fact to mention. Our house water pressure is around 70psi. Wondering if that may cause air to dissolve in the water and cause the bubbles?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: