toilet flange on concrete floor

Old 11-06-13, 10:55 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
toilet flange on concrete floor

hi all

I`m installing a toilet in the basement . I`ll be putting down a tile over concrete.
For the flange, which I`ll be installing over the finish floor, what`s the best way to anchor that to the cement subfloor?
Not a huge fan of tapcons as I find they strip easy…someone mentioned using lead anchors… never used those before so not sure what to think of it
What is commonly done in these situations?

Old 11-06-13, 12:49 PM
nothing wrong with tapcons.
Make sure you use the correct drill bit size and then ONLY go as far as suggested. Use some tape on the drill bit to tell you when to stop. usually its like 1/4" past the length of the screw itself. Dont quote me right now tho.
Any I had strip on me were because I used the wrong bit and depth.

You could use lead anchors as well. Personally I would go tapcon first and if you have trouble then just stick a lead anchor in the hole instead.

In my lower level of my raised ranch I just redid, all my lower wall sill plates are anchored with heavy tapcons. I've have zero issues.

I am dropping a toilet flange this weekend as well and I will be using them.

Old 11-06-13, 01:27 PM
P
what size tapcons do you use?

Old 11-06-13, 01:32 PM
Angry

depends. For the flange I honstly will probably use 3/8 by whatever length is lying around. For you I Would probably keep it on the shorter like 2" length.

I prefer the hex top rather than the flat/phillips head as they hold up A LOT beter.

Also be gentle cause you dont want to crank the screw down and wreck the flange. Just do it enough to keep it tight and from spinning.

Old 11-06-13, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Dont use tapcons.. Thats crazy.

Use large plastic anchor with the largest screw that fits through the flange hole. Use 4 points.

Meaning use the anchor that comes with the screw but use the largest thats will fit through the flange holes...

Old 11-06-13, 01:41 PM
Whats wrong with a tapcon?

I would see a plastic anchor giving out VERY fast from the shaking of a toilet. Lead would def be better but I have used tapcons to hold a WIDE variety of things with zero issues. They never rust, they dont break and grab like all hell.

The only problem Ive ever had is going back in the same hole with the same screw. Its a one and done deal but then you drop an anchor in instead.

Not ultimately disagreeing with you but want your POV

Old 11-09-13, 05:09 AM
P
I prefer anchors...they seem much more solid to me

what would be the best way to install them... the flange is not on yet.. .floor is not down yet.. on top of my concrete I will be putting down 1/2 kerdi board, heating cables, self leveler and then tile.. so it'll be an extra inch off the concrete by the time it's said and done... would I be better off putting in those anchors now? before I start installing all those layers?

the lead or plastic anchors... are they pounded in? or just dropped in the hole? if I need to pound them in I would think it would be easier BEFORE all those layers...otherwise it would not matter I gues

Old 11-09-13, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator
Hmmm.. If your raising the floor that much where is the flange going to sit? What pipe is there know? You may have troubles...

Old 11-09-13, 04:45 PM
P
well, the flange will be on top of th tile of course. so from the top
tile
self leveler with heating cables
1/2 inch kerdi board
cement floor

so the flange won't be floating it will sit on top of all that.. but the anchor will has to go into the cement.. meaning that my screws will have to be height of anchor plus about an inch to compensate for all the stuff between the cement and the flange

make sense?

Old 11-09-13, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
No does not make sense.. What pipe material is in the floor now? Cast, pvc. copper? How are you attaching the flange to the pipe from what was there before?

I am asking because I am wondering how your raising the pipe. Then making the seal.

Old 11-09-13, 05:01 PM
P
right now the black PVC pipe (the elbow actually) is about 3/4 below the grade of the cement slab
so I need to glue a short piece into that elbow and the then other end into the toilet closet flange

here's a quick diagram of the set up...anchors are shown at bottom on slab
Name:  bathroomdetail.jpg
Views: 35575
Size:  13.8 KB

Old 11-09-13, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
I would use the anchors right into the tile... Make sure you tile correctly around so the flange sits on the tile like the pic...

Im asking about the ell in the floor bacause not knowing is this was new install or retrofit... Odd you would have a clean ell in a retrofit....

Old 11-09-13, 06:19 PM
P
not really a retrofit... I had to break the foundation out to install new plumbing... so it's like a new construction I guess

but if I bring the sleeve all the up to the tile most of that anchor will either be in foam or mortar... either of which is not as strong as concrete no? I mean the foam for sure would no create any sort of resistance... this is why I was going to put flush with the concrete and then run longer screws from the flange

Old 11-09-13, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator
I dont know how you would get the anchor down the hole to the cement level...

If you think you can do it......

Old 11-09-13, 08:27 PM
P
precisely why I was thinking of pounding in BEFORE I put the tile down... if I measure properly I should be able to it... I think

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: