Ongoing problems with bathroom sink and bathtub drains

Old 11-22-13, 02:12 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ongoing problems with bathroom sink and bathtub drains

In the house I am currently renting, the bathroom sink and bathtub drains are very slow to drain and I am at a loss on how to fix it. I have brought it up with my landlord multiple times over the past 3 months and he keeps telling me he will come to fix it the next day but never shows.

One of the problems, I think, is that the drain pipes have a couple of 45 degree bends and a 90 degree bend. I tried cleaning the sink trap, but it was not real bad. I cannot snake it because of the sharp bends, and no plumbers are available for over a month plus I cannot afford to pay one and then bill the landlord. I have tried hydrochloric acid as a last resort after trying vinegar and baking soda. There is alot of lime in the water here and so I figured that caustic soda would not help. The hydrochloric acid seems to be doing something as it bubbles alot and black stuff comes up into the sink, but it still takes hours for it to drain.

Also, intermittently, I hear a "Glub" noise from the bathroom sink and also it sounds like the sink vents from the washing machine drain. This has made me wonder about the sewer vent, which I cannot access. I am out of ideas until I can afford to move from this shack, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 11-22-13, 02:36 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
You can always vote with your feet. Move! Really what options do you have? You say you don't have the money to bring in a plumber and the landlord has been blowing you off for months.

I would stop pouring muratic acid down the drain. If the line is clogged then you have a dangerous acid in the lines ready to injure someone trying to work on them. Plus I've never seen anything poured down the drain do much good. Mechanical removal of the clog is almost always the best solution. Then there is the issue that the plumbing may not be proper and the problem may not be totally caused by a clog.

Old 11-22-13, 10:29 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I plan to move, ASAP, but first have to come up with the money. I have had to spend most of my income the past few months helping my father as he had 2 major surgeries and is now wheelchair bound. I am also limited on transportation for moving as I cannot drive due to epilepsy. I have been actively seeking a house as the plumbing is not the only problem. I am just trying to find some method to fix the issue even if only temporary.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: