Removing a faucet from a claw foot tub

Old 11-27-13, 10:35 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing a faucet from a claw foot tub

I am trying to remove and replace an old faucet from mom's tub. I can't seem to get the old one of. Not sure if it might be rusted on our something else. Faucet will move but it brings the pipes with it. I tried tapping it fairly hard with a hammer but don't want to break anything. Thoughts?

Old 11-27-13, 10:39 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Going to need a picture, lots of different faucets it could be.

Old 11-27-13, 10:47 AM
A
https://db.tt/8vt0OwpJ

https://db.tt/ZGBmXpos

These should link to pictures

Old 11-27-13, 10:55 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Looks like there soldered on.

Old 11-27-13, 11:42 AM
A
Joe you are correct. Looks like this project will have to wait for my next trip home as i don't have the time now. Oh well we'll get everything else done.
Thanks

Old 04-15-14, 09:17 AM
A
I can access behind the supply pipes. I assume the ideal solution would be to remove the old (cast iron I think) pipes from the tub (sawzall?) and install a shut off valve that can then be added to when she decides on a new faucet and/or tub?

If so the supply pipe looks a bit thicker than what I am used to... Are there fittings that would commonly fit this?
Not sure it matters, but the water supply to the house is in the basement, and this tub is on the 3rd floor...

Thanks

Old 04-15-14, 10:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 751 Votes on 690 Posts
Shutoff valves are always a great idea in my opinion. They are not expensive and make working on the faucet much easier in the future, especially if the main shutoff is three floors down.

There are many different types of water supply piping with varying outside diameters. There are fittings available but the trick is knowing what you have and getting the correct fittings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: