aquasource toilet : is this the correct operation?

Old 12-09-13, 06:20 AM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
aquasource toilet : is this the correct operation?

i know this sounds silly but ive had the old 100 gallon toilets in my house forever so dont know if this is normal. bought an aquasource 1203 from lowes for the powder room put it in and a week later went in and the bowl was empty.

also i notice when i flush the tank only goes down half empty. i turned off the water for the day and then turned it on and there was no leak apparent.

so is this normal? there are no visible leaks anywhere but i'm just used to more water in the bowl

Old 12-09-13, 06:48 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Make sure the fill tube in the tank is directing a portion of the water into the overflow tube. That water helps replenish some of the bowl water that gets siphoned out during the flush process. Also check the water level in the tank, it should be around 5/8" below the top of the overflow tube.

Old 12-09-13, 08:25 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a blocked drain or vent to me.

Old 12-15-13, 02:09 PM
L
the fill tube is connected so that all the water goes into the overflow tube . this is how it came from the factory. for the fun of it i held the handle down so the entire tank emptied. the bowl seemed to fill a bit more but nowhere near where i would think it should.

water level goes near to the top of the tube as described above

drain cant be blocked. i paid 600 for it to be high pressure unclogged last year. and this toilet was out of commission longer than that. im' not getting on the roof to see about blocked vent.

is there any chance just that the tank is only supposed to half empty and not fill the bowl as much as my old toilets?

Old 12-15-13, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Yes, water level may be lower than you are used to. Do the specs have anything called free water area or water area? I don't see it online, but the better brands list that. Basically, it's how much surface area you should have in the bowl. Still shouldn't be empty though, unless the dog drank it.

The tank will never empty all the way. It's a low flush toilet (1.28 gal) so the tank holds way more than that. They use the extra column of water to help push water down for the initial part of the flush. Wouldn't be nearly as effective if they only had just the amount of water needed in the tank.

When I replaced an old cracked toilet, I too wondered about the surface area/depth of the bowl water, but it's been working fine.

Old 12-15-13, 02:49 PM
L
no water area specs.. i got a cheap toilet just cause is the powder room. nothing at all in manual except install instructions. the water is just above the opening at the bottom of the bowl.

ah ok so emptying half way in the tank is normal. your explanation makes sense now that i think of it. and i havent 'used' the toilet yet so unsure how all this will work lol

also the fill valve leaks from the 'top cap' while it's filling after a flush. just drips profusely. i assume as long as it properly stops filling when the level is up to the top this doesnt matter though?

Old 12-15-13, 02:57 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
The level in the bowl is set by the integral trap that is part of the toilet base. If you take a gallon of water and "slowly" pour it into the bowl, it will only go up so high. This should be the natural sitting level of the water. If it is not, then we need to continue the laundry list of possibilities. Don't pour the water quickly or it will act like a flush and pull the water lower than it should be.

Old 12-15-13, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Depends on the type valve they used, the ones I've seen shoot the water out the bottom somewhere. Make sure the cap is snapped down tightly.

You could try manually adding water to the bowl. Normally they fill til the water runs up and over the other side of the trap (I think), where it equalizes. Just did that with my AS Cadet 3 and the level increased maybe 1/4 after settling back down. That was with about 3 qts of water. Normal depth of the water is about 3 1/2" to the bottom.

Old 12-15-13, 03:55 PM
L
welp i slowly poured in a gallon in the bowl and the water left stayed right above the hole level so i guess this is where it should be

ill have to watch the level during the week but if it lowers without being used all week, i guess theres something else then?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: