Faucet handle moves past stop

Old 12-12-13, 11:57 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Faucet handle moves past stop

Bathroom sink faucet hot side handle. When pushed to off position it goes past normal stop and water trickles out. If I move handle back towards me it closes completely. It opens normally when moved to open position with normal flow. I took the handle off and took screw out of stem. Now what. See photo
Thanks

Attached Images  
Old 12-12-13, 12:40 PM
P
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Others may have a more detailed answer but I would shut off both the hot and cold supplies and then loosen that brass nut holding the stem in place. Remove the stem and take it with you to your local hardware or big box to match a replacement. Remember to get the proper left or right stem.

Old 12-12-13, 01:17 PM
L
The photo color is wrong.The nut shape is chromed and pretty soft. It is one piece with the rounded portion below. Should I protect the jaws of the wrench? Corrosion could make this hard to remove without damage. Thanks

Old 12-12-13, 02:04 PM
P
maybe the picture doesn't show what you are talking about. For the ones I have seen, that nut is not part of the round peice below it. They should separate. The nut shape I am talking about is the hex shape adjacent to the white plastic. it should turn alone. use a wrench not a pliers.

Old 12-12-13, 02:21 PM
L
pjaffe, The hex part really isn't brass. Just checked again with a magnifier. The hex part and the base are one piece. I guess I need to get ahold of the hex part and unscrew the whole thing so I can get the stem out. Your thoughts?

Old 12-12-13, 02:33 PM
P
this article has a good picture showing the order of assembly. You are looking to remove the stem nut or packing nut in the picture.

Repair a Leaky Faucet | DoItYourself.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: