Shutting water supply to shower

Old 12-24-13, 05:17 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shutting water supply to shower

I want to replace the shower cartridge. I shut the hot and cold water supply to the house and turned on the bypass to the water softener. Will there still be residual water coming out of the pipe valve when I remove the cartridge? I am afraid of water shooting out uncontrollably. This is the first time I'm attempting this. Thank you for your help.

Old 12-24-13, 06:08 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Open the shower valves and see what comes out.
There is no hot and cold supply lines coming into a house, there's just one main line from the street or well. Need to just shut the main incoming cold line.
Opening the bypass on the softener does nothing to shut off the water. That just bypasses the softener.

Old 12-24-13, 06:30 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
When you take the escutcheon plate off the shower control look behind the wall. If you have two screw head looking valves on either side of the valve, you can turn them to where the slot is across the flow of water and that will turn the hot and cold off to the valve. You can restore the water pressure to your house so everyone can use the facilities or wash dishes. Once you have replaced the cartridge, you turn the screws pointed toward the flow of water and it will begin to flow. If you don't find those screws, then do as Joe says, and just turn off the water to the house and open the shower valve to relieve the pressure.

Old 12-24-13, 06:43 PM
P
I shut the main incoming cold line. I opened the faucets to the shower, laundry room, bathroom and kitchen and have left them open for 10 minutes and water is still coming out. If I remove the cartridge, would water just come out of the bath spout and not out of the "pipe" that holds the cartridge?

Old 12-24-13, 06:48 PM
J
It should have shut off almost instantly. May be wrong valve.
There is no need to open all the other valves.
It is possible if it's an old gate valve to not have it shutoff all the way.

Old 12-25-13, 06:47 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Can you post a picture of the valve you are turning off, as well as a picture inside the wall of the shower valve with the escutcheon removed?? You may have to turn the water valve off at the meter if the inside valve is not working properly.

Old 12-25-13, 09:13 AM
Received 287 Votes on 257 Posts
Is the water coming out seem to be under pressure? If not open any valves that are at the highest point and lowest point in the house. This relieve any vacuum and allow the pipes to fully drain. If the water coming out seems like it's under any pressure then I agree that a valve is not properly shut or is defective and leaking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: