Any way to increase flow in Delta kitchen faucet 19939-DST?

Old 12-28-13, 12:18 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any way to increase flow in Delta kitchen faucet 19939-DST?

I just purchased the Delta kitchen faucet 19939-DST as part of a kitchen remodeling and find that its flow is about half of the previous (20 yr. old) faucet. I made no other changes to the plumbing.

The specs say 1.8 gal. / min., but I tested filling a gallon jug and in a minute at full on it only fills the jug half-way. I've made this test several times with always the same result. So it appears to be more like a 0.9 flow / min., if that.

So I assume that there is some type of flow restriction that I need to remove. But I've unscrewed the screen and aerator (as much as I've been able to remove - so far) and see that there appears to be a black plastic baffle about half-way across the opening. Could this be doing it? Except if it is, then the circular sprayer flow that I can toggle between wouldn't be affected as it gets its flow farther up inside the nozzle/sprayer assembly.

I've also unscrewed the nozzle/sprayer assembly on the top end and don't see that there's any way to get farther inside of it. Is there a way to do this and then perhaps I could find and remove a flow restrictor?

Otherwise, the white plastic fitting that the nozzle/sprayer head unscrews from is quite small, which I measure at 3/16". So I almost think this is the culprit and maybe even if there is an actual flow restrictor inside somewhere the nozzle/spray head that this might have to be drilled out anyway.

The thing that's most bothersome though is that they rate it at twice the flow that I can actually get.

Maybe I just have to return it for another brand that functions up to its specs. Though I hate to because it looks great. Just wish it would flow better.

I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

Old 12-28-13, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
There are flow restrictors and check valves that can be removed.... May or may not help as the aerator may have the flow retrictors..

I only install moens..

Note" Possibly there is crude in the restrictor in the hose end... Its where the spray hose attaches to the center tap under the sink..

I would need to look at the parts blow up though in the install manual to be sure...

Last edited by lawrosa; 12-28-13 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-28-13, 12:48 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 745 Votes on 684 Posts
I have two of those faucets and have not noticed flow problems. Try removing the spray nozzle altogether and repeat your test allowing the hose to pour into the jug. This will help isolate if the problem is in the spray nozzle assembly or something upstream like a restriction in the valve assembly or even the shutoff valves under the sink.

Are on a well? Do you know your house's water pressure?

Old 12-28-13, 03:04 PM
R
Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the replies.

Pilot Dane - I took your advice, unscrewed the head, using only the hose (w/ the 3/16" opening) and tried the gallon jug test and it filled in 40 seconds. So calculating out, it appears that I can get a 1.5 gal./min. flow without the head.

I put the head back on and it took 60 sec. to fill the jug, which is of course 1.0 gal./min, a little more than half of what I expect.

(Sorry, below I said that the jug only filled half-way in 60 sec. It actually filled. What I meant to say was that I only got half of what I thought in 60 sec. Sorry for the confusion.)

Yes, I am on a well and the pressure dial appears to be 27-28.

I ran each test twice, while the well pump was not actively running.

Old 12-28-13, 05:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
I think your water pressure is too low to get 1.5 gpm through the flow restrictors. I think they are designed to provide that volume at 60 psi supply pressure.

I'm not sure where they do the flow restriction in the spray head. I would start by removing the aerator and see if it can be popped apart and the restrictor portion removed.

Old 12-29-13, 11:10 AM
R
Okay, I will have to see about upping the water pressure. A little concerned about taking it as high as 60, though.

Otherwise, I am back where I started, trying to remove the flow restrictor inside the spray head. Does anyone know how to do this?

Old 12-29-13, 02:58 PM
P
Group Moderator
Have you tried removing the aerator assembly? The faucet ships with a little tool to help remove it. On some fixtures the restrictor is built into the aerator and with a little care you can pop it apart and remove the restrictor.

Old 01-05-14, 01:47 PM
R
No - I can't see ANY WAY to get inside the sprayer assembly to find the flow restrictor.

As I said initially - I've unscrewed the screen and aerator (as much as I've been able to remove - so far) and see that there appears to be a black plastic baffle about half-way across the opening. Could this be doing it? Except if it is, then the circular sprayer flow that I can toggle between wouldn't be affected as it gets its flow farther up inside the nozzle/sprayer assembly.

I've also unscrewed the nozzle/sprayer assembly on the top end and don't see that there's any way to get farther inside of it.

Does anyone know of any way to do this?

Old 01-23-14, 06:16 PM
R
Does ANYONE know how to remove the flow restrictors????

I am so incensed that I have purchased this piece of junk. It has very low flow and I called Delta and they said they wouldn't tell me how to remove the flow restrictors and that it would void the warranty.

I have well water and if I would have known this has flow restrictors I never would have purchased it. Buyer beware.

So can anyone out there please tell me how to REMOVE the #@%$&! FLOW RESTRICTORS on this model?

Or - if I have to take it back to Home Depot, is there another, similar faucet that doesn't have flow restrictors?

Thanks.

Old 01-23-14, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
Hmm I dont know roger...Flow restrictors I assume actually increase the pressure... Probably may make it worse if you remove them...

But Crude in the screen would cause your issues...

Here is the parts blow up.. I dont see a restrictor per se'

Product Documentation : Customer Support : Delta Faucet

Remove the aerator and test flow... How many GPM?

Old 01-23-14, 07:17 PM
R
As I said above, by taking off the head I can get a 1.5 gal./min. flow. But that's the only way. There are hidden flow restrictors inside the head. I can't get to them by just taking out the aerator.

Old 01-24-14, 06:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Have you removed the aerator from the end of the sprayer? The faucet ships with a little plastic wrench specifically for removing it or you can grab it with some pliers.

---
If you can't get better flow after removing the aerator send me a PM to remind me to take my faucets apart and see if I can find the restrictor. I've got two of them at home. I think it's gotta be in the aerator though.

Old 01-24-14, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator
Yes I belive the aerator is the restrictor... On the pull out sprays there is a check valve in the hose end somewhere.. Like a vacuum breaker??/ These are screened and clog...

Old 01-24-14, 08:46 PM
R
Mike and Pilot Dane, thanks much for your thoughts on this. I think what's so irksome is that i never would have purchased this if I had known about the restrictors.

Anyway, yeah, I take off the aerator and honestly, it doesn't seem like a greater flow. Just non-aerated. The restrictor is farther up in the head somewhere.

In fact with the aerator off, I see a piece of black plastic that goes about half-way across inside. I wonder if that's the restrictor and if I drilled that out it would work???

The circular spray option seems to have a better flow than the straight stream, in fact it's the one I mostly use being so frustrated with the restricted straight stream (center flow).

Old 01-25-14, 06:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
All faucets sold in the USA have flow restrictors. It's not something the manufacturers want but it is government mandated just like there are only low flush toilets these days.

Mine took 24 seconds to flow two quarts of water with the aerator in place.

26 seconds with the aerator removed. I'm also on a well so I think the water pressure was lower but both times are close enough to think that the aerator is not the cause of restriction.

18 seconds with the sprayer head removed so yes there is definetely something in the spray head slowing the flow.

22 seconds with the red "restrictor" in the inlet of the sprayer head removed.

20-21 seconds with the first check valve removed from the spray head.

19+ seconds with the second check valve removed from spray head.

Once again Photobucket is having major problems. Hopefully soon there will be a photo of the parts removed from the spray head.

Old 01-27-14, 08:06 PM
R
Pilot Dane, you've done it! Thanks so much for showing me that the flow restrictors can be removed from the top of the head. I didn't think they could, and then I reached in with a needle nosed pliers and pulled out the first aerator thing, then pulled out the orange restrictor with a bent paper clip and the same for the other one.

The flow rate is better, but still not great. By my calculations i can fill a gal. jug in 53 sec. which is 1.13 gal per minute. My previous rate was .9 gal. per min. so some improvement but I would have thought more after removing all that junk.

There's yet another piece below the 3 with a plastic valve-like thing that moves up and down, but I wasn't able to get it out. Also, since it moves, maybe it has some purpose other than restriction. If you manage to get that out and it helps your flow rate, please post it here and tell how you got it out.

Thanks again for showing how to get those pieces out.

Old 01-28-14, 04:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
I used a nut pick to get the restrictor and two check valves out. I stopped there as it looked like I was seeing the valve parts that switch the head from spray to stream. I don't think there is anything easy you can do to the head and still have the spray/stream valve function.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: