Replacing sink faucet cartridge - cannot tighten retainer ring

Old 01-02-14, 04:58 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing sink faucet cartridge - cannot tighten retainer ring

I have a Price Pfister single-handle kitchen faucet. It was already installed when I moved in so I don't know the exact model but looking at the pictures it seems to be part of the 'classic' series.

It started leaking from the faucet body so I removed the handle, the cover and then the retaining ring and swapped the cartridge.

However, I cannot get the retaining ring tight enough. I can screw it in by hand but before it gets too tight it 'pops' and loosens again like the threads are worn.

If I remove the cartridge, the retaining ring tightens perfectly so it's like I somehow have to put some pressure on the cartridge while trying to screw it in.

Is there a trick to doing this that I'm missing? The cartridge is notched so it can only go in one way but is it really that finicky about positioning or do I just need to exert more power? I don't really want to push on the top of the new cartridge for fear of breaking it

I thought about buying a new retaining ring but I begrudge paying $2 for some plastic and then $12 to ship (and, of course, Home Depot doesn't carry it)

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-14, 08:03 AM
Received 254 Votes on 228 Posts
This should be a lifetime warranty item. Did you call t he factory? They should be able to help you. Go to the web sight for the install instructions.

Old 01-03-14, 08:40 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thank you sir. I just went there and submitted a support request.

Do you know if there's an easy way to determine the model if I don't have any packaging/manuals?

Old 01-03-14, 10:08 AM
Received 254 Votes on 228 Posts
Every brand of faucet has basically two cartridges, one for a single lever and one for two handle. As far as the model, the factory should be able to figure that out by your inscription. Ask if you can e-mail a pic of the unit to them for identification. You might even upload a pic to this forum and maybe one of us can ID it for you.

Back in 1995-1997 every faucet manufacture went to a new type of manufacturing process and almost all have lifetime warranty due to this process.