Help Removing Kitchen Faucet Handle

Old 01-05-14, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help Removing Kitchen Faucet Handle

Sorry if this is an elementary request, but I am trying to remove a kitchen faucet handle to redo some caulking behind it and can't seem to figure out how to pry the handle off. It is a Moen brand faucet, but I don't know the model number.

I have attached a photo. I can unscrew the bottom base (where the red arrow is pointing), but the handle part at the very top I cannot seem to figure out how to loosen. I don't see any small screw or anything typical of other Moen handles. If I unscrew the base, it gets caught on the handle part, which does not seem to want to come off.

Any recommendations?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-14, 06:47 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
I have no experience with that particular faucet but I think that top "cap" removes to get to the handle screw. It may be a snap-in fit or a screw-in cap. Try holding the handle with one hand and using the palm of the other hand to exert a downward twisting motion to the cap. Most likely a counter-clockwise twist.

Old 01-05-14, 07:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Should be able to pop that cap with a butter knife, or small flat bladed screw driver.

Old 01-06-14, 06:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
http://www.moen.com/shared/docs/expl...ws/7590cpt.pdf

The above PDF shows the 2 ways your handle could be attached. 1- is with a set screw that is located on the back of the handle and would accept an allen wrench to remove. 2 a set screw located under the cap as previously mentioned. As we do not know your exact model name or age it could be either of these that work for your faucet.

Old 01-06-14, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Pretty sure the cap pops off on that moen... Cartridge is a 1225b if you need to replace...

There should be no caulking with that faucet. There should be a rubber ring that seals it to the sink.....

Old 01-08-14, 08:56 PM
Thanks everyone who chimed in. It turns out the handle can be removed once the cap is popped off on top (Method 2 I believe). I couldn't tell it had an indent to pop off cause of years of grime accumulation...

Now I have leaks coming down below the sink which I believe is due to water leaking out of the handle and then seeping through some cracked caulking immediately behind the handle. Not sure if a new cartridge would help the handle leaking water, but I know for sure fixing the caulking would work in closing the gap.

To clarify my caulking statement, I actually need to caulk around the edges of the sink because there is water leaking through the old stuff. It just happens that the faucet handle is almost back-to-back with where I need to apply it, so I just need to remove the handle so I have work space to apply the caulking.

Old 01-09-14, 06:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
In the schematics see if you can tighten what is referred to as the "Cartridge Nut". Even if you only get it to move a very small amount, it may be enough to seal the leak. If not, you may have to replace the cartridge. If the nut is nylon, don't go overboard as you run the risk of snapping it off.