Shower Knob Broken, can I fix it myself?

Old 01-05-14, 07:59 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Shower Knob Broken, can I fix it myself?

The recent weather cold snap caused the water in the pipe to the shower to expand and crack and, once it was warm enough, the shower control knob fell off and water kept gushing out. I have shut off the water to the entire house. The kind of shower fixture I have is one where you can hold the shower head/handle in your hand. The knob that turns it on/off and hot/cold is what broke off. Is it possible for me to replace that section by myself or do I need a plumber for something like that? It was not a clean break and I'm not sure what I need to remove--everything that is behind it?

Old 01-05-14, 08:04 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Got a picture, there hundreds of different ones it could be.

Old 01-05-14, 08:12 PM
T
I will post one shortly, have to borrow a camera. Thank you.

Old 01-06-14, 09:25 AM
T
Exclamation photos

Shower Photos by wounded_melody | Photobucket

I put the photos of my broken shower here. If you have trouble seeing them please let me know. There was a silver cylinder piece that went around the copper (?) pipe and was attached to the handle/know, but I dropped it somewhere and couldn't find it for a pic (although I don't think it's important since it broke off).

Any ideas? Do I need a plumber? Thank you for any and all help.

Old 01-06-14, 05:10 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
It is a delta shower cartridge. In your 2nd to last picture, you can see a set screw that needs to be removed to release on the end of the cartridge stuck in the handle. The on in the shower body should just pull out. Take both halves to a plumbing supply house and they will get you the correct replacement.

In front of the black rubber o-ring on the main body on the wall is a cap that holds the balance of the body tight in the fixture. It unscrews and releases the balance of the body. You will need to have the water off when you do this.

I will forward you a schematic that will show you what you need to do in a follow up post.

Old 01-06-14, 05:14 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: