reuse shower pan?

Old 01-07-14, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
reuse shower pan?

Hello,
I'm a very new DIY, but ready to go for it! We are redoing the shower in the master bathroom. The tile was originally put on drywall and just turned into a big mess. We have the drywall all taken out and are hoping to keep this a DIY project. One of my concerns is the existing shower pan. I think it is fiberglass, but I really am not totally sure. It needs to be resurfaced or replaced. What should I look for to know if it is salvageable? It is ugly and rusted in places, but I've learned that doesn't always equate to broken. If possible, I'd love to save the money, we have plenty of projects that need doing, but I don't want to have to start all over in a couple of years.

Here are a few pics of one of the 3 edges. they all pretty much look the same. I'm mostly concerned about the rusty areas and what I need to do to keep it from leaking. The first one is really close up...

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-14, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Hello and welcome.....

Please replace the pan..... Why use something that looks like that???

Sterling makes easy to install stuff and looks nice...

Measure stud to stud and I can suggest something I use and install.. Also back to front...

Take a pic of the whole pan too....

Old 01-07-14, 06:20 PM
more info

I was hoping to reuse it because replacing the shower pan seems to be the trickiest and most expensive part of the whole project. We didn't really choose to do this project, so money is a factor. That said, there's no sense in redoing it a few years down the line and I really appreciate the input. The shower is 48.5 in side to side x 32 in front to back

Attached Images  
Old 01-07-14, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator
because replacing the shower pan seems to be the trickiest and most expensive part of the whole project.
Thats the easiest part...

Take that tape off the drain and let me see the strainer... Close up... a few shots... What to see the type strainer and pipe material...

Old 01-07-14, 06:41 PM
drain

first let me be clear I have never moved that tape. The shower didn't work when I moved in and I've never thought about it. Gross! It looks like its made of chewed on, dirty PVC. I can't tell what the brown stuff around it is, but it isn't very hard.

Attached Images  
Old 01-07-14, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
Brown stuff is the rubber dount.. Remove that donut and pan should lift up and right out.. ( As long as the egdes are not screwed to the studs..

This will leave the PVV sticking up through the floor...
But pick at it and make sure its not lead...

But even if it is should be no problem as its pvc coming through the floor...

Old 01-07-14, 06:53 PM
I don't think it's lead. It might have been gummy at some point. I also am not sure about the fiberglass anymore. The shower pan seems like it is going to be really heavy. Any thoughts on what it might be? The little "rocks" stick up above the white filling in a few places.

I don't think it is screwed anywhere, but it seems to be in there really well somehow. It goes lower than whatever connects the studs together and the floor.

Last edited by esliku; 01-07-14 at 06:54 PM. Reason: more information
Old 01-07-14, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator
Well they probably added a few floors to the bathroom... Thats why the pan seems sunken in... Its been there awhile..

Look and the left and right sides... level with sub floor?

Looks like a terrazzo pan to me... They are known to crack and such.. Just do a goggle search "Terrazzo shower pan"

Here would be a replacement pan...

Shop Sterling 48-in L x 34-in W Ensemble White Vikrell Shower Base at Lowes.com

You putting tile back on the wall or a surround...?

Old 01-07-14, 07:42 PM
oh well shoot, that's no where near as expensive as I thought it would be. We are going to tile and the people at a couple of the tile stores we've looked at have made it out to be a huge project and expense to replace the shower pan. since it only seems to have damage on the rusted metal parts, the rest of it is a little worn, but not cracked or anything, and we heard it was a $5-700 project, I was dreading doing it.

It looks like the shower pan is level with the sub floor, but I can only see the sub floor on the side that has the plumbing. The other side has a 2x4 laying against the sub floor connecting the studs and is backed up to a walk in closet. the back side still has some kind of wall up that was behind the gross drywall. Behind that are more studs then the neighboring townhouse. Is it going to be hard to get that pan out of there?

Old 01-07-14, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
Is it going to be hard to get that pan out of there?
No..........................

Do you like the pan?????? Do you want to keep it you can...

Old 01-07-14, 08:50 PM
I'm not really fond of it. More scared that we'll take it out and have all kinds of problems making the area waterproof. I guess we're going to have to deal with that regardless since the edges don't seem to be in the best shape. I'm sure there are already lots of threads about replacing the pan. Are there any special things I need to know about a terrazzo one?

Thanks for your advise, it's really great to know for sure what I need to do and be able to move forward with this.

Old 01-07-14, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator
Are there any special things I need to know about a terrazzo one?
Like what? Taking a sledge hammer to it...LOL

Forget the tile on the walls too... Thats a small fortunr... Put up the matching walls and be done with it...

There are many to chose from but I like this tile look with lots of shelves... Can never have to many shelves..

This is the back wall..

Shop Sterling 48-in W x 68-in H Shower Wall Surround Back Panel at Lowes.com

This is the set of side walls...

Shop Sterling 35-1/4-in W x 72-1/2-in H Shower Wall Surround Side Wall Panel at Lowes.com

What $700 bucks for a nice shower...