Suddenly 1 tub/shower faucet (master) gives only a trickle, but all others work.

Old 01-08-14, 12:11 AM
Suddenly 1 tub/shower faucet (master) gives only a trickle, but all others work.

Hello! Hoping someone on here can help me out!

So up until yesterday morning, 1/7, my master shower/tub faucet was working fine for both bath and shower functions. I went to turn it on yesterday morning, and got the piddliest trickle of water from the tub - and nothing from the shower at all. I tried again a few hours ago just to see, and there was a marginally larger trickle - but still nothing to do more than wash your hands in. Hot/Cold are working fine for that measly amount of water though (so I'll take that as a good sign!)...

I don't know much at all about plumbing, but the water heater seems fine as evidenced by the 5 other faucets in the house (1 other shower/tub faucet, 4 sink faucets) working fine for hot and cold water, and water pressure. The other shower/tub has no issues at all (thank goodness!). So I don't think it's a frozen-pipes issue, which was my initial heart-stopping fear when it wouldn't work. Although if the pipes are different sets, I guess it still could be? I don't know (clearly).

Anyone have any suggestions or things to try or look at to see if they're the issue? I appreciate the help greatly!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-14, 01:13 AM
Really need a make and model, or at least a style (single handle, two handle with spout diverter or three handle) to make any kind of guess. If you don't know these things then a few pictures would help. Pictures need to be well lit and in focus. Close up of any manufacturer's logo if present.

Old 01-08-14, 06:11 AM
Group Moderator
I suspect you have sediment or debris in the faucet's cartridge or valve. Get some clean water in a bucket. Turn off the water and remove the faucet's knob and remove the valve cartridge. Rinse it out in the clean water and make sure there is nothing clogging or blocking it's passages.

Old 01-08-14, 08:20 AM
Thank you both so much for your replies!
Furd - I will get pics and model info as soon as I can post them up! In short, it is a single handle lever (180 degree turn for temp) with the spigot below (with a typical pull-up lever for the shower 'converter'), and a [replaced] WaterPik (pretty sure) hand-held showerhead.
Pilot Dane - thanks for that suggestion! If it is sediment or not, do you have a suggestion on doing this practice yearly or something to avoid this? Just curious!

Old 01-08-14, 08:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just because there's water other places does not mean those lines are still not frozen.
If you do pull the cartridge make sure to shutoff the main water supply first.

Old 01-08-14, 09:13 AM
Group Moderator
I would not take faucets apart unless there is a reason to do so. With the extremely cold weather I've seen our town doing a lot of water line work which is knocking sediment loose and causing trouble with faucets and toilet fill valves. A whole house sediment water filter would help prevent this but unless it happens often I think the filter would be more trouble than it's worth.