Problems with Toilet.

Old 01-13-14, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problems with Toilet.

We have had issues with this toilet for the past 3 months since we have moved into this place. It started out not really being a big issue more of an annoyance but now it seems to be becoming a problem.

It started out seeming like it was just a weak flush. When you flush it the paper doesn't seem to go down. It will take 2-3 flushes for a little bit of toilet paper to go down and we typically use scotts because the plumber we had come at our last house said it's best to only use that.

In the past few weeks I have noticed that sometimes it does that or sometimes it will flush the paper first then the entire bowl will fill up with water to the point where you think OMG it's going to overflow! (And this is just with urine and a little bit of toilet paper, nothing that should cause a clog) Then all of a sudden when it touches that inner rim of the toilet all the water will go down with such force, like you feel like if your not careful you could get sucked down too.

Also I have noticed several times that I will flush the toilet then walk away and then every few minutes the water will run in the tank until I go in and jiggle the handle. This happens maybe once or twice a week.

Well today the toilet did that thing where it sucked the toilet paper down and then filled up with water, only it wouldn't stop and it overflowed the toilet and took several towels to mop up.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-14, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Clog in the main line or at least the toilet connection to it. You can try a toilet auger...but you may still have to call a company to do the whole line.

Any problems with any other toilets, tubs, or sinks?

The running water means the flapper isn't seating correctly every time. Not related to the poor flush.

Old 01-13-14, 03:17 PM
Not with stuff going down the drains. We had to have the valve on the toilet replaced a few months ago. Because last time it looked like it was going to overflow I turned the shut off valve and then when I turned it back on it kept running. and other stupid little stuff like the knob to switch from the shower/faucet in the one bathroom keeps getting stuck and I assume it just needs to be replaced, it looks like it has seen better days.

Although now it makes me wonder. When we moved here we were told that the main line into the house was recently replaced and that they were finding some strange things in the pipes when they dug them up, which they guessed was thrown down there by their previous tenant. So I'm wondering if maybe the previous person here threw something down there they weren't supposed to. I was hoping that it was just something easy that we could do ourselves.

Old 01-13-14, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
Strange stuff is often found in lines...and may not be a problem until it shifts or is moved to a bad section.

Like I said...you can try a toilet auger...or pull the toilet and try a regular snake, but you may wind up calling a Pro.

Are there kids in the house now or were there before? They have a tendency to throw all sorts of stuff in.

Old 01-13-14, 05:08 PM
We don't have any children and the person who lived here before us was an older gentleman who lived here by himself.

Old 01-13-14, 05:12 PM
when we were just having the problems with it not flushing stuff down properly we thought maybe the previous people had installed some sort of water saving device or something on it because all the showers in the house are water saving shower heads, and just by speaking with them we could tell they were very aware of trying to conserve water. But then when it fills up too far it seems like it uses more then 1 tank full of water. So now I'm thinking more there may be something down there preventing it from flowing properly.